Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got approved for SSDI

Just got approved for SSDI

I am getting $1,928 a month from Social Security, on top of $1,904 in unemployment compensation.

Would the Social Security affect the unemployment compensation?

i've never been on unemployment, but my LTD is reduced by my SSDI. you better check w/unemployment comp because, in the end, if it is affected by SSDI income (like any other income), they will ask for it back. you aren't endangering your SSDI. it's not affected by other income, except employment.
    Last edited by cass; 11-02-2010 at 09:59 AM.

I've never been on unemployment either but I was just talking with my cousin who is currently on unemployment and he said he can only make a certain amount of money monthly or it effects his. So I would think they would count your SSDI. JMO though.

Unemployment varies from state to state. In Delaware they pro rate the Unemployment checks according to what you get in a SSDI check.

I agree, you should bring this to their attention soon. They'll notice it sooner or later and saves you having to pay a lot back later.

Glad you were approved, Peter. You worked decades and that's not easy in a quad bod.

While I realize you are referencing unemployment bennies, my LTD is reduced by the amount SSDI pays. Let us know what happens.

you can get unemployment and ssdi at the same time? I thought you couldn't get both at the same time or does it vary according to what state you live in.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    i've never been on unemployment, but my LTD is reduced by my SSDI. you better check w/unemployment comp because, in the end, if it is affected by SSDI income (like any other income), they will ask for it back. you aren't endangering your SSDI. it's not affected by other income.
    Cass, maybe I am miss reading you, but aren;t you limited in how much you can make in a month while on ssdi?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Cass, maybe I am miss reading you, but aren;t you limited in how much you can make in a month while on ssdi?
    i didn't state that right. i wasn't referring to employment income but things like LTD or pension. thx for pointing that out so i could clarify. in fact, my post didn't say what i meant so changed it.

I found that in Connecticut, I can collect SSDI and unemployment comp simultaneously.
    So who wants to help me spend $3,832 a month?

I would look at it again if I were you. Unemployment is awarded if the person collecting is actively looking for and is capable of performing some work. If you are on ssdi, you are unable to work, so that makes collecting unemployment wrong.

Unemployment is premised upon whether a person can work, just is temporarily out of work, not disabled.

Check again.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess