Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: self employed or employed

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Numurkah, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    209

    self employed or employed

    Is Anyone else on this forum that is a c5 c6 quad or other who have gone out a got a degree and find it hard to gain employment or are working for them selves and find people lack convidence in them comparred to similar less skilled able bods'

    And how do you or have you overcome these problems?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Cspine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    3,267
    Self employed C6, only had one client doubt my abilities. No degree though.
    Death and taxes

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Ridgecrest,CA.USA
    Posts
    1,537
    I think that sometimes there is the perception that people may doubt your ability but it may not be the case. I've had moments of self doubt where I have questioned whether or not someone believes I'm capable of this or that. I guess it all depends on your job. If you're trying to get a job as a roofer, it could be a tough sell.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Numurkah, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by gpbullock View Post
    I think that sometimes there is the perception that people may doubt your ability but it may not be the case. I've had moments of self doubt where I have questioned whether or not someone believes I'm capable of this or that. I guess it all depends on your job. If you're trying to get a job as a roofer, it could be a tough sell.
    I would agree with that but as an accountant and tax agent i don't think so

    I don't know whats its is over the state etc but in Aust to gain your tax license you have to show the ability that you have completed an array work on all aspects of tax, in which people don't realise or don't want to.

  5. #5
    You have a fellow low quad here with a lot of experience as a working quad in corporate America.

    I would slowly build the confidence of your clients by meeting each commitment that you make to them. It is as simple and as hard as that in any work/life situation.

    If you have the expertise to offer a client services, then just make sure that you deliver them right and on time. As long as there is demand for your expertise and you have a good reputation then clients should request your services.

    If you consistently deliver these things over time, then you will gain people's respect and more business. Getting started and building up to an equilibrium will be the hardest part but don't give up and keep you options for new/better opportunities open as you proceed. Ask people that you trust if what you are doing is working or not.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Numurkah, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    You have a fellow low quad here with a lot of experience as a working quad in corporate America.

    I would slowly build the confidence of your clients by meeting each commitment that you make to them. It is as simple and as hard as that in any work/life situation.

    If you have the expertise to offer a client services, then just make sure that you deliver them right and on time. As long as there is demand for your expertise and you have a good reputation then clients should request your services.

    If you consistently deliver these things over time, then you will gain people's respect and more business. Getting started and building up to an equilibrium will be the hardest part but don't give up and keep you options for new/better opportunities open as you proceed. Ask people that you trust if what you are doing is working or not.
    Thanks thats appreciated - and yes i am qualified and have gained the expereince.

    I also rember that it did not appear to this hard when i was walking in establishing and running a business

  7. #7
    C6 quad here, 18yrs in investment banking but currently working for the CEO of Craig Hospital www.craighospital.org We try to create and promote positions for and in mind of all types of abilities regardless of level of injury. The finance industry was the same. If you can present yourself professionally, know your subject matter well, display commitment, honesty, integrity and a good attendance consistency I don't think that it's that hard to find a job/career regardless of chair or not.

    I've seen C3 quads work telemarketing jobs and become very successful / independent and then I've seen low paras, who have much more physical capability, get jobs and never show up for work. It's all about work ethic, drive, motivation, necessity. If you want a job/career bad enough you'll find one, if not, there will always be an excuse ~ able-bodied or disabled. It's all about choice.

    Onward and upward,

    Chris

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Numurkah, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell View Post
    C6 quad here, 18yrs in investment banking but currently working for the CEO of Craig Hospital www.craighospital.org We try to create and promote positions for and in mind of all types of abilities regardless of level of injury. The finance industry was the same. If you can present yourself professionally, know your subject matter well, display commitment, honesty, integrity and a good attendance consistency I don't think that it's that hard to find a job/career regardless of chair or not.

    I've seen C3 quads work telemarketing jobs and become very successful / independent and then I've seen low paras, who have much more physical capability, get jobs and never show up for work. It's all about work ethic, drive, motivation, necessity. If you want a job/career bad enough you'll find one, if not, there will always be an excuse ~ able-bodied or disabled. It's all about choice.

    Onward and upward,

    Chris
    Please don't consider this as a insult but i do think it total depends whether or not you live in a rural setting or a major capital city, it also has to do with the mind set of the country, area etc.

    I am glad to see the mind set seems to be a positive one were you are suituated. And I do agree with you that work ethic has a lot to do with it, but its unfortunate that I have in most cases come accross more offen an not that there is a negitive perception, among the commercial employer community.

    I have been to government jobs where they tell me i should be in public practice arena and then those in public practice saying government postion would be more suitable.

    I have been told by one that although i have the knowledge base and previous expreince in the area of industry they supported, they did not consider that as a c5-c6 quad that i would be able to do the work.

    One told me that i don't look professional even though i arrived at the interview with a suit and tie minus the jacket, for ovious reasons must have been that f*&king chair.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Numurkah, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Cspine View Post
    Self employed C6, only had one client doubt my abilities. No degree though.
    If you don't mind me asking what is that you do?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Numurkah, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by gpbullock View Post
    I think that sometimes there is the perception that people may doubt your ability but it may not be the case. I've had moments of self doubt where I have questioned whether or not someone believes I'm capable of this or that. I guess it all depends on your job. If you're trying to get a job as a roofer, it could be a tough sell.
    yes as roofer that would be a tough sell

Similar Threads

  1. Self Employed Taxes (1065) Need Help
    By GoTWHeeLs in forum Work, School, & Money
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
  2. Immigrants more likely to be employed than US citizens
    By Eileen in forum Work, School, & Money
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
  3. what do you all do for work? how many are self employed?
    By steve garro in forum Work, School, & Money
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 02:07 PM
  4. Medicare question for the employed
    By Clipper in forum Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 10:30 AM
  5. Home Health when you're employed?
    By pixyvixen in forum Life
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-26-2003, 09:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •