Thread: where to find a PCA?

where to find a PCA?

I'm looking for a PCA and read somewhere on this forum to check Craig's List...I did and could not find any under "services". Am I looking in the right place? Any other places to look?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    I'm looking for a PCA and read somewhere on this forum to check Craig's List...I did and could not find any under "services". Am I looking in the right place? Any other places to look?
    Um, I would be careful about Craig's list for anything besides buying or selling a piece of furniture or something. If you have to look there, go under medical and look for home health aide, i dont know there is much difference. Could you call a staffing agency in your area that employs HHA's, CNA's etc? At least they hopefully have some screening process for their employees, im not sure you know what your getting on craig's list, just be careful.

We have had great success using Craig's List, but we don't just look for ads that are already posted. We always post our own position ad. That way it is clear what our needs are. You may want to do a search using Craig's List as the search term on this forum to find many previous discussions, as well as sample ads.

As always, no matter where you recruit your PCAs, a background check is money well spent, and always check references.

There is no way in a million years we could afford what an agency charges, and would have to hire RNs and LVNs if we did so, since CNAs and HHAs are not allowed to do bowel care or caths in our state. We hire our own so we can decide their duties ourselves, and have total control over who we get, what we pay, and hiring/firing as well as job duties. We do always require a written contract, and have a written job description too.

(KLD)

Agree with KLD, post your own ad and let people respond to you.

marycsm - using an agency is prohibitively expensive and from what I've read and heard about over the years, there are alot of disadvantages of an agency (such as sending different people instead of one consistent person).

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    Agree with KLD, post your own ad and let people respond to you.

marycsm - using an agency is prohibitively expensive and from what I've read and heard about over the years, there are alot of disadvantages of an agency (such as sending different people instead of one consistent person).
    Yes you are right about the agencies sometimes sending different people, I had an HHA for awhile and this did happen sometimes, but the people and the agency were great. My HHA was paid for thru insurance so this was not an issue for me. I could see where it would be expensive if paid out of pocket, i cant remember whether the OP said she would be paying out of pocket or not. Anyway perhaps it is my skeptical nature living in NY regarding craigs, when you post ad though remember there is a pretty good chance that the same people that are looking for a job and are posintg themselves may likely answer the ad as well.

Well whatever is good for the individual's situation
    Last edited by marycsm77; 09-26-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: add information

Also another suggestion might be looking at your local college or nursing school for a student nurse who is looking for work. You can still train them for whatever duties you require, your own contract etc. and they would obviously not be paid the same as someone who is licensed. Just a thought.

Try contacting your local Center for Independent Living. Ours keeps a database of names. They have had background checks(state anyway) already. Although it can be luck of the draw as far as quality.

On Cl go to Resumes and in the search tab search Caregivers you should find many post.

Kenny

I recently used Craigslist. I interviewed about 5 people, out of the 5 I selected the most qualified and sent them to my Home Health agency to apply and it's worked out great. I posted in the Jobs offered area.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Local publications=Local People

Penneysavers, Shopper's Guide, Marketplace (all local pubs in my area)