Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can airlines really charge double to seat fat SCI people?

Can airlines really charge double to seat fat SCI people?

Since SCI itself can cause a person not to be able to fit into a standard airline seat, should airlines charge full fare for the second seat for those passengers with SCI who need two seats?
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 09-24-2010 at 04:23 PM.

If they take 2 seats, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    Since SCI itself can cause a person not to be able to fit into a standard airline seat, should airlines charge full fare for the second seat for those passengers with SCI who need two seats?
    how does SCI cause this??

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    how does SCI cause this??
    (1) SCI can decrease ability to exercise, which can cause weight increase among people unable to exercise normally. This includes not only formal physical exercise, like running or mountain climbing, but even the daily walking about and weight-shifting that people without SCI do that burns up calories.

(2) SCI can decrease muscle strength which can make a person take more space sitting than a person without SCI of the same nominal weight, since the muscles usually used for sitting no longer constrain the rest of the mass. (This would probably be more applicable to those with incomplete SCI).

(3) SCI can decrease skin sensation and strength, which could make pressing against an armrest for long periods dangerous, as the pressure can cause ulcers (pressure sores) in the portion of the skin that is pressed against the armrest.

sorry, but i disagree. am c7 for 24 yrs. flown a lot. SCI does not inherently justify 2 seats. nor does it inherently cause any of those 3 things to necessitate 2 seats. had you mentioned equipment such as that involved with a respirator, that is credible and actually already covered under the law.
    Last edited by cass; 09-24-2010 at 07:30 PM.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    (1) SCI can decrease ability to exercise, which can cause weight increase among people unable to exercise normally. This includes not only formal physical exercise, like running or mountain climbing, but even the daily walking about and weight-shifting that people without SCI do that burns up calories.

(2) SCI can decrease muscle strength which can make a person take more space sitting than a person without SCI of the same nominal weight, since the muscles usually used for sitting no longer constrain the rest of the mass. (This would probably be more applicable to those with incomplete SCI).

(3) SCI can decrease skin sensation and strength, which could make pressing against an armrest for long periods dangerous, as the pressure can cause ulcers (pressure sores) in the portion of the skin that is pressed against the armrest.
    so according to this ^, Mark Zupan should be a fatass, along with this guy and anyone with SCI. Last i knew being fat is a result of being lazy,poor diet and no exercise.
    Mark Zupan and Myself (not me)

Last edited by jschism; 09-24-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: oops

Please site the scientific and research articles that support these "facts".

People who are obese are nearly always so due to eating more calories than they burn, which is a voluntary behavior. Obesity is not caused by SCI, although there is a high rate of obesity in many people with disabilities. Many people overeat to self-sooth, or deal with anxiety or depression.

If you don't get as much exercise, you need to eat less. Everyone with a SCI except those with the highest injuries can do some type of cardiovascular exercise though. Even muscle spasms and spasticity burn calories.

Muscles weakness and paralysis does not make the buttocks or hips larger, in fact atrophy and smaller hips is more the norm. Abdominal wall muscle paralysis can lead to "quad belly" if you choose not to avoid it by using an abdominal binder on a regular basis, but this just causes a big belly and does not require you to take two seats on the plane.

(KLD)

A little surprised by your take on obesity as a "voluntary behavior" KLD. Aside from the wealth of scientific data showing the genetic predisposition to obesity and the various types of fat that are at different percentages in the "normal weight" population vesus the overweight, you made no consideration for psychological findings on obesity being driven, at least partly, by dopamine receptors and other subtle brain chemistry. Don't get me wrong, I value what you write here usually, but the pejorative tone of your post has the potential to have one more fat girl....me.....feeling badly about myself. That would be externally sourced disappointment though, cause the truth is I think I am a very decent person, and that is unaffected by my weight, contrary to what seems to be a continuing theme on CCC of judgement, debasement, and cruelty when it comes to the overweight.

2 seats, are 2 seats......and fat, is fat.......im sure an overweight person without and sci that needs 2 seats has some health issue....thats like them saying how can u charge me for 2 seats cause i have diabetes............it's taking up a spot that creates revenue.....

Canadian courts say they can't. After careful study, they decided that domestic airlines must offer a complimentary second seat to passengers who are “determined to be functionally disabled by obesity.”

http://www.canada.com/health/story.html?id=1113531