Thread: Kaos' Surgery and Finger Movement

Kaos' Surgery and Finger Movement

Hi Folks,

I find it strange that people don't seem to recover any use of their fingers following Kaos' surgery and need to have tendon transfers. If he can restore sensation, bladder, bowel, even some use of the legs, then how come no improved hand function?

I have considered the surgery myself. I'm a C5/6 motor complete, sensory incomplete. I have no triceps or finger movement. Now to me, right now I'm not that concerned about not walking and being in a wheelchair, BUT what I DO want is tricep and hand function return - it would make everything infinitely easier. Complete recovery to, say, C7 level is all I ask for, although bladder/bowel is a bonus!

From what I read, Kaos surgery doesnt work like that. People don't seem to get return down a level or more, but get return of 'pre-targetted' functions.

All very strange, but hey, that's SCI for you!

Regards,
    Andy.

To reply to me via email, replace 'spambucket' with 'andy'.

Andy, very interesting observation. It is, however, not unexpected that some functions supplied by neurons at the injury site do not recover as a result of surgical decompression and untethering. The reason is that neurons at the injury site may have been damaged. Regeneration refers just to reconnections but if the neurons are damaged, recovery does not occur unless one finds a way of replacing the neurons and getting those neurons to reconnect. Wise.

fingers and Kao

As Dr. Wise states, fingers are very complexed and the nerves easily damaged beyound repair. We were told the same thing at the Schriners Hospital and UAB. That is why electrode transplants in the hands are becoming more popular. Hopefully, some cell or drug therapy in the future can restore the fingers of quads.

Sincerely:

JJG

Handmaster for quads

Hi JG,

This recently received FDA approval:

http://www.nessltd.com/products.htm

I filled out their medical form and e-mailed them but have yet to get a reply.

Dr. Young

If someone with c5/c6 has some finger and thumb movement on both hands would they be considered to have slight neuronal damage, would 4AP help?

Jeremy

The effect of 4-AP depends on the degree of demyelination of axons that may be innervating the motoneurons to your hand. It is difficult to predict what will happen but it may be worth a try to see if there is any benefit.

Wise.

Seneca

Thanks for the NESS web site.

Jeremy, I'm C6 with very limited hand movement. I tried 4-AP for 2 months. No change or increased function.

jgiambro or anyone. Is the electrode implant therapy available? Where? Cost?

I thought that I read something about the Cleveland FES center doing something similar? Not the shoulder gig or tendon transfer but something
    new?

implant

Availalbe at Schriners hopsital free for kids and Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta

Sincerely:

JJG

Before you begin making assumptions about what Dr. Kao's therapy will do, I'd do a consultation with him personally and let him look at your case. The guy's really good. For instance...he didn't pay ALL THAT much attention to the xray of my back at first...he looked at my leg, and NOTICED that that was the biggest repair job..."YOUR LEG WAS IN FOUR PIECES."

From what I remember of the video he showed me, he showed a quad. He showed her restored finger movement and said "she will be able to play the piano." I don't remember if she had a tendon transfer or not, because I was more interested in the fact that they were ambulating with what was essentially an AFO...quads AND paras. From what I understand of the results he gets, 4/5 people will get back exactly what he says they will get back. I talked to one of four people he wanted me to call. That person could urinate, six months post surgery.

Do a consultation. In an hour, he showed me why my back hurt (sitting posture) demonstrated to me that my injury wasn't complete (despite a HOST of medical people telling me it was) and told me how to build an exercise system to improve my breathing. That was the best $125 I've spent in the last two years.

Eric Texley