Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Standing Tall

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    how does he like the nustep?

Prices of stuff are ridiculous over here too (UK) and we dont have medicare to pay for stuff. The NHS arent much help either, I don't even qualify for an electric chair off them as the rules are so tight (presumably so they have to buy as few as possible)

I'm looking at standing chair for £6,000 at the moment, it makes me wonder how Balders and Permobil can justify prices of £16,000, £20,000 + when it can be done for six?

Someone on a post on here gave links to a site where you can build your own standing frame which I might try and get done if the Genie is not suitable.

I actually got one in an estate for 500 bucks. A little used but still does the trick just needed a little TLC.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Quote Originally Posted by Katilea View Post
    Prices of stuff are ridiculous over here too (UK) and we dont have medicare to pay for stuff. The NHS arent much help either, I don't even qualify for an electric chair off them as the rules are so tight (presumably so they have to buy as few as possible)

I'm looking at standing chair for £6,000 at the moment, it makes me wonder how Balders and Permobil can justify prices of £16,000, £20,000 + when it can be done for six?

Someone on a post on here gave links to a site where you can build your own standing frame which I might try and get done if the Genie is not suitable.
    Katilea, are you a para? If you are not, I would not reccomend building your own as those hand-built one's don't normally provide enough support for a quad also, you have to have a lot of upper body strength to pull yourself into it... Even for me as a para, I needed to buy an Easystand....

Hi Wheeliegirl
    Congrats it is liberating
    Keep smiling
    Sincerely ;
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    how does he like the nustep?
    He loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    He loves it.
    glad to hear that, i really like the Nustep and it is easy for me to use myself and it is safe, i had a saratoga arm/leg cycle you have to hangon for dear life while using.

ok thanks for telling me wheeliegirl.

I think I would be classified as Quad as my condition affects all 4 limbs (and speech muscles) although it is not paralysis. I can use my arms/legs as long as my body is fully supported as I can't keep my balance without something/someone to hold me up. However I still have intention tremor and involuntary movements of arms to cope with so even trying to hit one key first time is a challenge!

I thought maybe a long piece could be added for behind my back the full length of my body like the seat would be on the standing chair behind me?

out of curiosity... what is a nustep?

Nustep is a recumbrent cross trainer
    http://nustep.com/

He can't transfer on it by himself but once hes on it he is fine. Also we have the motomed for arms and legs, that is really nice too. It has a anti spasticity feature that if you have a spasm it goes in reverse to work thru the spasm.