Page 95 of 170 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105145 ... LastLast

Thread: So Who All Hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    I don't post to this thread but it is easily one of the most entertaining ones on CCC. You should do stand up (or sit down) DeadEye.
    Thanks 57 but next time just throw money
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

makes a great mount lol

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Thanks 57 but next time just throw money
    Yeah, show me the money. I hear ya.

I actually moved out of eastern Hanover County a little over a year ago (have several private hunt clubs there) and a lot of the Virginia based stories in this thread hit home. I can't exactly call myself a hunter but maybe I'll join up with you guys for an outing sometime. Keep the stories coming they're quite enjoyable.

This weekends hunt

Hunting has been practically non existent for me this year. Went one afternoon about 2 weeks ago for the first time and saw nothing. Ga season ended this past weekend. However I did get to go hunting this past weekend. I attended the disabled hunt at the Rack and Beard hunt club in Monroeville AL. Great event. I took my 17 year old son with me as my hunting partner and we hunted together. We drove down Friday afternoon and got there just in time to go to a stand. All the stands are accessible. This one was an elevated shooting house with a ramp. We saw 2 doe and 2 buttons Friday afternoon. Saturday morning it was 21 degrees and we were gonna drop the first doe we saw. We were in a tent blind on the ground looking down an old logging trail. Wouldn't you know it we were in a great place to get a nice buck and a itty bitty doe walked out 5 minutes after we got in the blind. We decided we did not want to mess up our chances at a nice buck by shooting that early so we let her walk.... right up to within about 15 yards of our blind. It was hard to hold my son back. She walked off and as luck would have it she was all we saw that morning. Saturday afternoon we sat on a green field and all was quite until shooting light was almost gone. A nice sized deer walked out on the other side of the food plot. Through binoculars and scopes we both decided it was a doe and my boy took the shot. Turned out to be a year old button buck. Nice size and legal since it was "antlerless". The shot was with a Remington 788 in .243 caliber and was 170 yards. His shot was right through the bread basket. It high kicked and ran about 15 yards and then dropped. He was upset that it was a buck but I got him to understand that when you are shooting for does it happens sometime. As much fun as I had getting i the woods and hunting I had more fun spending the weekend with my boy. I know those times are gonna be becoming more rare as he heads off to college. That's gonna be tough for sure. Hope everybody has a safe time i the woods the rest of the seasons.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

When does your season come in? Sounds like a nice long season. You'll get 'em Dusty, if not this year, then next. If Deel can bag a few, then you know you can! Hell, he even scored on a two-legged doe
    haha on the deel part our season Special Primitive Weapons Hunt/Crossbow Nov 7 - 18, 2011 Anterless Deer Only (private and open public lands) Gun (with dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Nov 19 - Dec 1, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land; Legal Bucks only on open public land. Primitive Weapon / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 2 - 15, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land. Gun (without dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 16-23, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land.
    Gun (with dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 24, 2011 - Jan 18, 2012 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land; Legal Bucks only on open public land.
    Primitive Weapon / Archery / Crossbow Jan 19 - 31, 2012 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Hunting has been practically non existent for me this year. Went one afternoon about 2 weeks ago for the first time and saw nothing. Ga season ended this past weekend. However I did get to go hunting this past weekend. I attended the disabled hunt at the Rack and Beard hunt club in Monroeville AL. Great event. I took my 17 year old son with me as my hunting partner and we hunted together. We drove down Friday afternoon and got there just in time to go to a stand. All the stands are accessible. This one was an elevated shooting house with a ramp. We saw 2 doe and 2 buttons Friday afternoon. Saturday morning it was 21 degrees and we were gonna drop the first doe we saw. We were in a tent blind on the ground looking down an old logging trail. Wouldn't you know it we were in a great place to get a nice buck and a itty bitty doe walked out 5 minutes after we got in the blind. We decided we did not want to mess up our chances at a nice buck by shooting that early so we let her walk.... right up to within about 15 yards of our blind. It was hard to hold my son back. She walked off and as luck would have it she was all we saw that morning. Saturday afternoon we sat on a green field and all was quite until shooting light was almost gone. A nice sized deer walked out on the other side of the food plot. Through binoculars and scopes we both decided it was a doe and my boy took the shot. Turned out to be a year old button buck. Nice size and legal since it was "antlerless". The shot was with a Remington 788 in .243 caliber and was 170 yards. His shot was right through the bread basket. It high kicked and ran about 15 yards and then dropped. He was upset that it was a buck but I got him to understand that when you are shooting for does it happens sometime. As much fun as I had getting i the woods and hunting I had more fun spending the weekend with my boy. I know those times are gonna be becoming more rare as he heads off to college. That's gonna be tough for sure. Hope everybody has a safe time i the woods the rest of the seasons.
    glad yall had a great time in gods country

Great story Grange. Congrats to your son.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Dusty, so your season is from early Nov to the end of Jan? That's not too long. Ours here in Va. started with archery the first Sat in Oct and ended the first Sat in Jan.

Dusty, so your season is from early Nov to the end of Jan? That's not too long. Ours here in Va. started with archery the first Sat in Oct and ended the first Sat in Jan.
    our bow season start oct 1 just not set up to bow hunt so in mississippi u can hunt deer from oct 1 to jan 31 some parts in mississippi the season don't go out to feb the 15 just not in my zone Method Season Dates Legal Deer Archery Oct 1 - Nov 18, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private and open public land. Youth Gun Nov 5, 2011 - Jan 31, 2012 Anterless Deer & Legal Bucks on private and authorized state and federal lands. Youths 15 and under. Special Primitive Weapons Hunt/Crossbow Nov 7 - 18, 2011 Anterless Deer Only (private and open public lands) Gun (with dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Nov 19 - Dec 1, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land; Legal Bucks only on open public land. Primitive Weapon / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 2 - 15, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land. Gun (without dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 16-23, 2011 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land.
    Gun (with dogs) / Crossbow / Special Archery Hunt Dec 24, 2011 - Jan 18, 2012 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land; Legal Bucks only on open public land.
    Primitive Weapon / Archery / Crossbow Jan 19 - 31, 2012 Antlerless Deer & Legal Bucks on private land and open public land.

well ended my season on getting a doe the last day of season was jan 31 and it was about 65 skeeters was badddddddd dad got off work at 330 drove hour home got here about 4:30 we loaded up got set up about 4:45 and at 5:20 2 smaller does came out then few min later big doe came out she was tring to smell us then some dumbazz blowed there car horn bout ran the deer off soon as she turn i shot the big doe she ran about 20 yards brother came help dad load it he cut all the meat up to make jerky going be good eating been a hot boring season this year hope next year is better now iam ready to do some fishing