Page 94 of 170 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104144 ... LastLast

Thread: So Who All Hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by Isomaad View Post
    Well, I've read a couple articles comparing recoil of various calibers and the consensus seems to be that high powered 12ga turkey loads and 12ga rifled slugs have significantly more recoil than a muzzle loader packing 150gr. I haven't shot a muzzle loader since breaking my neck but from what I can remember, I don't recall it being too bad. However, back then I was a beefed up body builder so that might be comparing apples to oranges in my current state.

You're absolutely right about a semi-auto soaking up recoil. The gun I'm currently using for turkey is an 11-87 shooting 3" Winchester Supremes. I just switched last year from the Remington Heavy Shot and was shocked at how hard the Winchesters kicked. It was like I was shooting a totally different gun. But, since I dropped a jake at 67 yards with the Supremes, I won't be going back to the Heavy Shot, that's for sure. My buddy is supposed to bring his Pro Hunter by pretty soon and let me shoot it. He has shot the 11-87 and swears his Pro Hunter is tamer so we'll see. His 12 year old son also shoots a Pro Hunter and he's pretty small so maybe the FlexTech stock really does make a big difference. I just hope it's enough to tame down a HP turkey load so it will be bearable while I get it patterned.

The main reason I want the TC is because I really like the idea of having one gun for all seasons. I can swap barrels and use it for turkey, muzzle loader, and rifle season. Also, the trigger pull from the factory is around four pounds which isn't too bad so I wouldn't need to do any work there. I know with the TC I'll be loosing the chance of a quick follow up shot but I've not needed one up to this point using the 11-87 so hopefully I won't break that tradition with the TC (knock on wood). I guess if I do though, I’ll just have a “the one that got away” story to tell. Hee! Hee!
    Here's good info on recoil.
    Shotgun recoil: http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm
    Rifle Recoil: http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
    M/L Recoil: http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloaders_recoil.htm
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Deadeye- are you planning to go to Nashville for the NWTF? We are thinking about it. Would love to meet you if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Good luck Dusty... when does your season end?
    I didn't see anything all season except three does from the van on the way to my hunt site.
    ends jan 31 and thank bud

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Deadeye- are you planning to go to Nashville for the NWTF? We are thinking about it. Would love to meet you if so.
    Oh yea, I'll be there. I'll arrive midday on Wed 2/8, have meetings all day Thursday but I'm planning on playing hooky the work part of convention on Friday. Let me know. Love to see you guys.

By the way, I saw some good pics on the IL WS FB page.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dusty_goodson View Post
    ends jan 31 and thank bud
    When does your season come in? Sounds like a nice long season. You'll get 'em Dusty, if not this year, then next. If Deel can bag a few, then you know you can! Hell, he even scored on a two-legged doe

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    When does your season come in? Sounds like a nice long season. You'll get 'em Dusty, if not this year, then next. If Deel can bag a few, then you know you can! Hell, he even scored on a two-legged doe
    I don't post to this thread but it is easily one of the most entertaining ones on CCC. You should do stand up (or sit down) DeadEye.

ill take em 2 legged does anyday season is open all year on them

Yeah Deadeye, I had run across those recoil charts before. There is some eye opening info there. I was surprised at how much more recoil energy a 12ga is capable of dishing out compared to several large, popular rifle calibers.

For you guys who haven't had any luck deer hunting, well I feel your pain. I didn't put any brown on the ground either. However, I did get to see plenty of does and fawns though, that and just being out in the woods still makes for a pretty good hunt in my opinion. I did have several different bucks show up on my trail cam, but my schedule was never in sync with theirs. Hopefully next season they won't be as lucky. I still have a hog hunt lined up for later this month. I've never been before, so I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get a good supply of bacon. Hee! Hee! Have fun at the NWTF show guys. The long beards will be on the menu before we know it.

Ditto on the two legged does! They are much more clever than the four legged version. Plus, once you do catch one, it's usually not long before you're ready to turn'em loose. Hee! Hee!

Quote Originally Posted by deel90 View Post
    ill take em 2 legged does anyday season is open all year on them
    Did you mount your doe Deel? I bet she'd make a great full-body mount.