Page 69 of 161 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119 ... LastLast

Thread: So Who All Hunt??

Seriously DE, can anyone use a crossbow in VA for big game? Here an AB can if it is during an open firearm season otherwise it is by permit (disable) only.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

19 degrees this morn, a thin sheet of ice covered the lake. I saw a big doe with a fawn which would have made even a long rifle shot. Might go out again this evening.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Seriously DE, can anyone use a crossbow in VA for big game? Here an AB can if it is during an open firearm season otherwise it is by permit (disable) only.
    No OT, only disabled hunters or really cute girls in camo can hunt with a crossbow

Seriously....here's the story. Crossbows used to be illegal for everyone in Va. I tried to get our legislature to approve their use for disabled hunters starting back in '83-84 but without much luck. They finally realized it was the right thing to do to allow us to be able to bow hunt, and approved their use only for our use in '94. About 5 years ago they approved their use for all hunters, and we can use them during the regular archery season. There's no shortage of deer in Va. and it really brought in the revenue for our Game Dept, and exposed bow hunting to a lot more people.

Deer season in most of Virginia comes in:

Archery 1st Sat in Oct
    Blackpowder 1st Sat in Nov
    general firearms 3rd Sat in Nov and ends the 1st Sat in Jan.

A lot of the old-school Big Buck Contests do not allow crossbow killed deer to be entered in the archery category...or even the blackpowder category! They lump them in the general firearms with rifles and shotguns. Talk about not having a clue to their actual effectiveness!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Interesting how much the laws change from state to state. I had legislation introduced in 86 for those with a permit to shoot from a vehicle could take a deer of either sex without going through the lottery process. Finally it passed in 90 and now they give out the permits almost as easy for parking. I wish we had the longer gun season, most of the state is 9 days starting the first weekend in Nov. By the end of the season is about when the rut is heaviest. Est. deer population for MN is 1 million and that is way under estimated.

I hear you on the crossbow verses firearms, not even close. I've heard a lot of archers preferring compound over crossbow for accuracy, speed and distance. Also a lot less clumsey.

dang good deer she killed

Last evening, 34 degrees with a brisk damp SE wind blowing in my face. As I wait with the crossbow a doe with 2 fawns come into my clearing just min. before quitting time. When I click the safety off they all stop, the fawns are in clear view and I see the doe from the belly back so I give a short grunt. The doe turns around standing behind a fawn with none of them seeing me at 25 yards. It's so dark I couldn't make out the bubble on the level, I had to go for the doe because if it wasn't a drop dead shot the fawns would have led me to the spot. I can still make them out with my eyes but not through the scope and didn't want to guess the shot. Will try again this evening.

sound like you had a good hunt oldtimer

Finally got out this afternoon. I've been too dang busy put everything on hold to get out today. I watched a Red-tail hawk hunt for 30 minutes or so in front of me, diving 4-5 times for field mice. He scored twice so a pretty good average. Beautiful to watch.

I finally had a six point come out at 6:10 and mill around at 75-80 yards for 10 minutes before walking off. He was a small 12" wide basket rack so he'd live to see another day even if he was within range. I'll pack the bow up tomorrow for the season.

I leave Friday morning for the first of our 18 hunts planned for this fall in Virginia. Gonna be a good year!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Got out last evening around 4:30. 39 degrees with a south wind blowing in my favor and pheasants cackling in the cattails. 6:35 a doe walks through my clearing and stops just far enough in the brush so I can't shoot. I can see about 25 feet either side of the clearing but too brushy for bow, my clearing is about 12 feet. Firearm season opens tomorrow for 9 days and is suppose to be wind gusts of 45 mph all weekend so I don't expect much. The deer have been moving more this past week but still not much sign of rut. Am hoping it doesn't get real cold so I can fill my bow tag sometime before the end of the year. Archery has become very addictive!

HEading To Illinois in a few hours to hunt!! Goign with the Illinois Wheeling Sportsman that someoen on here suggested!! I cannot wait!!