Thread: So Who All Hunt??

An interesting hunt, good for you guys! I use to love duck and goose hunting until the damp cold got to me but man, don't even think about taking a swan, probably life in prison on top of taking all your possessions. They are big but is there all that much meat there?
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    A friend of mine, who's nickname is Cut, had helped us on a Wheelin' spring gobbler hunt in April and at the time offered to take any of our hunters that happened to draw a tundra swan tag. I sent Cut's offer out to our hunters and told them if any were lucky enough to draw a tag, to contact me and I'd get in touch with Cut to get the hunt set up. As it turns out, the hunter that called me saying he'd drawn a tag was completely blind. He had deer hunted with us numerous times before and had killed 3 deer this year. He's able to shoot with a spotter/aide looking over his right shoulder.

Although Chuck is completely blind, he said he wanted to have the experience of such a hunt. I drove the hour and 45 mins to the little diner where we met at 5:30 and we headed to the property 10 miles away. Chuck was able to walk out thru the cut corn field stubble with 3" of newly planted rye. Luckily it was dry enough for me to roll the distance too.

Cut and Chuck's helper set up 35-40 swan decoys and then another 20 goose dekes on the opposite side of the blind. We had a single tundra come in around 8, and a few geese shortly thereafter but no shots. We saw a total of 5 tundras, and 2-3 thousand geese, all but a hand-full were 1/2 mile away at the river. At 9:45 a single tundra came in and offered me a shot. After sitting 3+ hours in a chilly damp blind, when I shouldered the gun to shoot, my leg and back spasms went nuts. I quickly tried to get myself straight and fired off one shot, a swing and a miss. That was our action for the day. Chuck however had a blast just hearing the tundras fly over, their calls and the sound of their wings. Not to mention the sound of 2-3000 geese in the distance. A great morning in the blind.

This was quite a challenge as you can clearly understand. It was a great experience for Chuck, Cut and myself.

Our setup at sunrise.

Me, Cut and Chuck.
    glad yall had a good time

Well, Iowa deer season ended on the 10th. Looks like nothing of size survived on our farm............

T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

I was waiting for your smiley face RS! Good God man, those are pics I'd be dying to see in early Oct, not the end of the season. That last buck is a hoss!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

First time we've ever seen that last buck. I really hope we find his sheds. That pic was taken on the 11th. Might have to keep a pile of corn there to keep him in the area. Already have 3-4 bucks that have shed already.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

AWESOME PICTURES!!! lots of wall hangers. love the stories. season just ended here in pa. it goes by to fast. I filled my tags though, so all is good.

Oh yeah, they don't get old from being stupid. They do get wiser with age to a certain point.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Well there is 1500+ acres of solid timber these guys can hide in. Only a couple hundred is public land. The rest has very light hunting pressure. So I'd say they're just good at staying deep into the woods. Lol
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

30 some years ago I hunted a small place, the farmer said, just don't shoot Moses or Brutis. The first time I saw them I knew why the names. That's when you could shoot bucks only and he wanted them for breeders. One time during those years I watch Moses with 9 does under "HIS" tree. We took some dandies out of there, old age got Brutis at age 10, Moses was 12. After the farmer moved we couldn't hunt it anymore but there are still some giants around there, would love to get back in!