Thread: So Who All Hunt??

Deadeye: Sounds like you had a fun day!! No doubt your nephew will remember it forever & be telling stories to his kids someday.. good luck on Monday...

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    You're right Deadeye, there are now 12 less speed goats in WY. 12 hunters, 12 kills. It was an awesome time.

First day...sighting in guns

Then trap shooting...

Next day on to the hunt, Davids was 11 3/4" will make a nice new wall hanging.

Then off for some sight seeing.
    What a great sounding hunt & trip you should have slid an elk hunt in Colorado ..way yo go guys..

horn hunting

Quote Originally Posted by RSieck View Post
    My buddy sent me this pic... One years worth of sheds from our friends farm. Has a whole tub full...

I used to really look forward to horn hunting every spring, each shed make you feel like you found a gold nugget!! Rarely did I find that many matched sides except elk. Horn prices used to be $19 a pound for browns.. good times

We go out every spring too but rarely find a shed. Might have somethin to do with the timber I hunt in is a solid block or river bottom for miles to the south. Our farm has the first bottom ground ag/CRP fields that interupt the woods to the north.
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

You're right Deadeye, there are now 12 less speed goats in WY. 12 hunters, 12 kills. It was an awesome time.

Then trap shooting...

Awesome! Looks like you guys had a great trip. Did you meet my friend Greg from WV?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Then trap shooting...

Hey, I'm happy for you, GREAT GOING!!!!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Nice RS!!!

I took my nephew 10 y/o Keaton out this evening in pursuit of his first deer. We were laid up comfortably in a big Penthouse blind. Finally about 6:45 2 does came in, first one at 45 yds then another from the right. She stopped at 27 angling towards us and he had the crosshairs on her wanting to pull the trigger on my xbow, but it just wasn't a clean shot. I held him back hoping she'd take 2 more steps.
    "Can I shoot, Can I shoot?"
    "Just two more steps buddy!".

As luck has it, 10 seconds later something from the east spooked her and they turned and walked off. So close. I felt bad about not letting him squeeze one off but I just wasn't comfortable with him shooting her at that angle, albeit a slight quartering to. Anyway, he's hooked and wants to know when I can take him again. I'm figuring I'll sacrifice my Monday afternoon and get him back out there since he has football practice Tue and Thurs.. Awesome afternoon!
    It's something your nephew will never forget and he couldn't find a better mentor.

I've been going out almost everyday and seeing enough does and fawns, only one buck (fork horn). Last evening I had a chance at a doe at 13 yds. It would have been a head on head shot but from what I've been reading, everybody seems to say let it go. Is the skull too hard for an arrow or what would be the best shot at that angle? Will try again this evening as it isn't getting any warmer, was 21 this morning.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

I will always cherish the time spent with my son in the woods. I am just about ready to get after the deer again. I went out to my area a couple weeks ago and was destroyed by chiggers. We need a cold blast to chase those critters before I head back out there. I saw a nice 10 pt cross the road the other night near where I hunt. Maybe it was fate.

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    I will always cherish the time spent with my son in the woods. I am just about ready to get after the deer again. I went out to my area a couple weeks ago and was destroyed by chiggers. We need a cold blast to chase those critters before I head back out there. I saw a nice 10 pt cross the road the other night near where I hunt. Maybe it was fate.
    MF, the chiggers eat my ass alive! If I get them on my legs, the bites turn into blisters the size of nickels. About 12-15 years ago, I went to the dermatologist trying to figure out what was going on. Finally after the second year, with more blisters, I figured it out. I spray my clothes with Sawyers before going out now. I have to religiously do it or face the nasty consequences.

Nothing like seeing a nice one to get the blood flowing. Good luck.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Thanks guys, we really did have an awesome time. If anyone wants to know more about how to apply for the hunt in WY let me know.

Deadeye, I can't seem to place a Greg. I am sure we did as we all conversed alot but there was so many people there, from hunters, to helpers to volunteers, to community members. I just can't seem to put a face with the name. Congrats to the little guy. I can't wait to take David and our granddaughter both out, she's only 3 but sooo wants to hunt with papa.

Montana, we didn't see the first buffalo or elk. Wish we would have, that would have been so cool.

There is also a mule deer or whitetail deer they hold in Montana. I have info on that too for anyone interested.