Thread: So Who All Hunt??

just getting elk here in va in my neck of the woods they released them about 10 min from me...im hoping they do well and i get to hunt them in the future.

tell him goodluck mswife cant wait to hear the story and see pictures

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    Went elk hunting on my 1yr anniversary, Sept 23 although not the " mountain man " I was pre-accident I can still get it done just slower. I did manage to get this little guy but any bull elk is ok with me!!! 20 yards away and my heart was racing.....
    Awesome NWM!!! And on your anniversary no less. But that's not you in the pic, right?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

With the price of beef sky high and pork about to go up I wish I had that "baby" in my freezer. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Awesome NWM!!! And on your anniversary no less. But that's not you in the pic, right?
    Crap forgot to mention thats my youngest son in photo we remarked that we need to take more photos BEFORE critters in the truck!!! Not very romantic/ woodsy looking with our Chevy in photos. Gives away how close to a road we were too, but strictly 4-wheel drive road.

Deel90: The elk should grow quick! a special permit only area here started with 20 elk there are over 800 now plus many areas close were populated by elk that left refuge its been amazing to see so many elk where 15 yts ago there were none..

SCI55 : we also cut, grind & wrap our own not sure what processing costs in your area but an avg elk is $350 for basic cutting & wrapping a bunch of us chipped in on big LEM meat grinder it paid for itself first hunting season..Heck I can sit all day cutting meat

elk hunt guide

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Nice Montana: Elk is what my husbands wants to try to do next year. I have no idea where to line a hunt like that up at but I guess I better start trying to figure it out. Leave in the a.m. for Wyoming to go antelope hunting. Will post pictures when we get back.
    MSWIFE: My son has been taking me but there are quite a few ranches/ guides who can accomidate us..especially since there are so many wounded warrior hunts taking place.under the right circumstances elk are not harder to hunt then deer at least until they hit the ground and 600lbs meat awaits, anyone who desires an elk hunt should get a chance its so amazing. I probably have an advantage since I had been hunting elk over 30yrs before my accident. But if there's a will there's a way. I have never hunted antelope but there on my must try list good luck

Congrats fromnwmont very nice elk. There is no better meat in the world that elk tenderloins at least for me it doesn't get any better. I got my cow elk draw again this year hoping to have a little more time to go out and look for some as last year I didnt have much time with working so much.
    Our season opened Sept 19th here so i have been out a couple times with my 13 year old boy looking for white tail. I bought a tag for white tail buck, mule buck and my cow elk. My son bought bull elk, white tail buck, two white tail doe's and his mule buck. Its very warm here and we are not seeing many dear other than in the farmers fields. we usually have our best luck last two weeks in November when it gets lower than minus 20C. They run around stupid sniffing around and also have to move and eat more when its cold.
    Went to our local SCI (Safari Club International) annual fundraiser and dinner last weekend with my wife and parents. All money raised here stays locally and they use the money to promote hunting and conservation. The last few years they build a big home made lake stalked with trout and a large covered cement dock for the elderly and handicap to fish, which is nice as it helps get the seniors out more.
    Anyway they have 100's of raffles all night long on guns, fishing trips and everything else you can think of. They get a bunch of Safari's type hunts from around the world donated for this fund raiser and it gives good advertisement for the owners of the hunting and or fishing lodges ect. Anyway we enjoyed the nice meal and afterwords they started the auctions one nice trip they had was to New Zealand for 10 days you tour for 7 days then hunt the last 3 days for Red stag (my favourite looking horned animal). Anyway there was quite a few different ones and i think 3 or 4 from Africa. Anyway i didn't plan this but i ended up bidding on a Safari in Africa as i read about it in the program and the lady that owns the establishment was there talking to us about it and promoting it. She had told me she has had two wheelchair bound people come to her lodge since she has owned it and things went well as long as you are open. I guess she means like open to letting people lift and move you around if need be not sure but hey why not you cant live in a box all your life. Anyway this trip was for 2 hunters and two non hunters including all guide fee's, 3 specific animals each included and all the food and drinks you can eat. Well the funny thing is i ended up winning the auction i had a set amount i would pay in my head and i got it for even less it was a steal, we just have to pay for our flights and pick a time. My wife, mom and dad were kind of in shock that i bid and won this trip then when i told my dad he is the other hunter coming with me his face was all red and in shock lol was priceless. My parents are not getting any younger they are in their 70's so i want to enjoy the best quality time i can.
    Anyway after we won the owner of the lodge came over to our table and talked to us for awhile and she said for any more non hunters they charge $180 a night includes food and booze anyway I ended up talking her down quite a bit per night for any more non hunters. So now my 29 year old daughter said she is coming and my 13 year old son and probably a few friends of ours so should be fun. The three animals thrown in are Warthog, Impala and the Duiker all the lower priced animals which is fine as it should be a blast and the lady even said it would be ok if my son wants to shoot one of those free animals she doest have a problem with it. So of course my 13 year old is very excited now as he loves hunting a lot and has some friends in his class that hunt as well. I really want to hunt a big Kudu and might i haven't made up my mine as they are quite expensive for the tags but if i am already all the way their i probably should as there is a very good chance i will never be back to Africa. The lodge is 4.5hrs north of Johannesburg in south Africa we are all pretty excited now i am just dreading the super long flight I cant rest my head back on seat it wont reach! So i end up pretty uncomfortable so we will see how this works out.

This is the link to the place we are going to it also has a list of excursions for the non hunters so my wife, mom and friends have some stuff to do. I am sure they will come out a day or two to see the animals especially my daughter as she is in her last year of Veterinarian helper and she wants to work with exotic animals. The good thing about this lodge is they have a mini spa and are able to give massages because i am sure after a 28.5 hrs day of travel i will need about a 2-4hr massage to make me a live again!

here is the link to the place we are going as you see they post a list of prices of each animal some i would never hunt even if i had the money but each to their own. Kudu is suppose to be one of the best tasting animals so I definitely want them to cook some up on the BBQ if we get one as i want to definitely try all the animals. In the email i wrote to the proprietor i asked her what they did with all the meat just haven't heard back yet.

http://www.africasporthuntingsafaris...faris-a-prices

Anyway congrats again on the Elk i am already dreaming of getting mine this November 1 st when my tag opens.

Cheers,

Mooner
    Last edited by Mooner99; 09-29-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Mooner99: WOW comes to mind First!! I would LOVE to go to Africa its high up on my bucket list but the only real chance I had was when some guys from work went, but financially it just was just to much $10.000 just as well have been a million at the time, but my current boss & both our sons just might make it ... Are elk pretty abundant in your area? I assume them allowing cow tags is a sign things are good? Our elk herds are still adjusting to the reintroduction of wolves we noticed more smaller herds 10-20 spread over larger area instead of 80-100 all together makes for more action during the rut 4 times as many "herd bulls" but you still have to look hard to find a 350+ class bull we get called meat hunters all the time because I take what stands in front of me I love a big set horns & have even shot รก 8x8 one year but our house is small & I like a full freezer!!! Good luck nothing better then hunting with your boys.

Ya it will definitely be a trip of a life time and i would be lying if I told you i wasn't nervous as my injury is only 4 years old but i continue to push myself as much as i can it is the only way we can try new things or full-fill old or new dreams. I will just have to get used to people having to lift me sometimes and put some trust into them.
    Ya we have quite a few elk come down from the mountains and the area I put my tag in, it is right by my house. Some of the farmers have been complaining about the elk stealing their feed and busting up them white plastic wrapped feed. I think because of the complaints for this area I got the draw as this happened in January this year a mile north of me on a farm. They are still hard to hunt as you cant use rifle during rut. I use to bow hunt before i got hurt and you have to go about an hour away if you want to hunt them in rut as they dont come down this far till later on in the year. If you buy a general tag for pretty much most area's you are aloud to shoot any Elk bull 3 by 3 or bigger. But you have to find them as male elk are very smart animals and they usually just kick the young and females out in front of them to walk out on the fields and most times they dont come out till after dark when you can't hunt. At least the ones down here do. We have tons of wolves and cougars here in Alberta if you have any big game tag (deer ect) you can shoot a wolf all you want. In fact i saw a wolf close to my house last year it was probably only 2-3 miles away I was quite surprised but they have been eating good the last 8+ years as the deer have all been having twins every year. For cougars though they are closely managed you can hunt them as of Dec 15th and every morning when you wake up you are suppose to check the internet to see if your tag area is still open as they only allow so many of each sex harvested per zone depending on populations of cougars and people.

2010 November 6 I got my moose which was a good day as it gave me lots of meat to feat my teenage boys. And i am sure you know what teenage boys are like to feed its like they have a family of tape worms in their belly they seem to eat every 30min crazy! Here is the moose we got and darn did he taste good.

I have a few other hunting pictures in my profile from before and after accident. I only feel alive when i am out in the bush out in nature hence why i use to bow hunt before my accident. As you and many other hunters know its not about the kill its about the experience, the smell, the isolation and nature that makes the time worthwhile the kill is just a bonus.

A nice elk will be my project in the next two years will really put an effort into it. Its been my dream for many many years to get a big elk some day...............

Mooner