Thread: So Who All Hunt??

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    You are a turkey killin' machine! It also helps to be in the right spot, with the right caller

The same cold front blew thru here last night and shut the birds up. We had one of four hunters kill a bird this morning but gobblin' was limited at best.
    Thanks DeadEye! We did very little calling on this hunt. Really didn't need to. Several hens flew off roost and set down about 25yds from my decoy. A few seconds after that, several long beards with a bunch of hens and jakes came up the hill to meet them. As soon as the long beards laid eyes on the DSd Jake, they couldn't get to him fast enough. After that, It was just a matter of getting one to quit flogging my decoy long enough for me to shoot him in the face. Good luck on your hunting, I hope you slay a big one!

I hear great things about those decoys but man are they expensive. Our hunt yesterday was on a beautiful property and I hunted on top of a mountain. Damn was it cold and windy but a gorgeous place. The rain made things slick and muddy. Here I am trying to get back up a logging road. It's a shame that the chair goes better backwards than forward.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Man, your chair is going to need a bath! That's about how mine looked a couple of weeks ago. It sounds like you were in a nice spot but I know how the wind and cold can make things a little miserable.

Yeah, the DSD decoy's are expensive and I wasn't sure at first if I wanted to spend that much money on a decoy. However, after seeing it in action, I think my money was well spent. The main thing for me is how much it keeps the gobblers focused on it. It allows me to swing the gun or rearrange my position a little without worrying as much about getting busted. I know other decoys work too, but the posture of the DSD Jake just seems to really piss them off.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I found on Permobil's order form where snow tires can be ordered. Now it says that when you order chair, the snow tires wear fast so you get both types already on wheels when the box is checked. Cost is about 450 bucks for both.

I can not find knobby or snow tires anywhere to match a 3.00-8 or 14'' x 3'' wheelchair tire. I have had the Primo Powertrax knobbys, the Kendas and a couple others on the Omegatrac, but only the original Omegatrac tires were any good.

Need to find the brand name of the snow tires Permobil uses. Probably euopean, made for them or both.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-23-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I hear great things about those decoys but man are they expensive. Our hunt yesterday was on a beautiful property and I hunted on top of a mountain. Damn was it cold and windy but a gorgeous place. The rain made things slick and muddy. Here I am trying to get back up a logging road. It's a shame that the chair goes better backwards than forward.

More agressive tires would help a lot. Can't find any yet.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Wolf

I finally got my wolf back from the Taxidermist and they put it up on the wall for me just above my TV.

here was the before picture a few years back.

My youngest son's first deer last November

He also got a nice little 6 pointer last year but not sure what i did with the pictures. Now that he can hunt he wants to go all the time we are looking forward to end of August for bow season. I am aloud to use my cross bow during bow season as i cant pull my bow anymore so we might try to find a nice little place to set up. Been talking to a lot more farmers this year as really want to find a good area to hunt with bow as it is a lot easier to call in Elk or Moose during that time as they are in their rut.

We will see what happens as a big elk is on my bucket list!

Mooner

Thats a sweet looking wolf! Those things have always amazed me, would love to have an opportunity at one someday!
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

There is a ton of wolves here in any colour, in fact last year when my dad and i were driving out to our favourite hunting spot we were only about 2 miles from my house and we saw a calico colour wolf run right in front of us. He ran from the bush on the right side across in front of the truck about 100 yards and ran into the bush on the left side. My guess is that animal was shot at before as he seemed to run 100 miles an hour lol they are very smart animals. If you have any big game licences here in Alberta then you can shoot a wolf dont even need tags for them. No short supply here and it saves poisoning them if they get to be a big problem, its a balance as we all know with any game.

I am saving the spot above that wolf for a big Elk hopefully sooner rather than later lol.
    I saw that red stag a few pages earlier very nice animal that is on my bucket list as well maybe some day. I have two friends going to New Zealand this year to hunt them I wish i could go but no way can i hunt the foot hills where they are going, wheelchairs dont work well for that!

Booked our flight for Africa in September so i am kind of nervous as nothing is accessible where i am going but when there is a will there is a way. I will definitely try to find the time every night to write on this board and do a little diary so if all works well maybe someone else will come and do the same thing. Getting excited now 7 of us going my dad and i are the hunters and i think my 14 year old wants to go for an animal or two as we will see. My dream is to get a nice Kudu as i heard they are good eating so would like to have some tenderloins on the bbq one of those nights!

We will see...

Mooner

Quote Originally Posted by Isomaad View Post
    Well, I managed to get my second bird of the season on the April, 7th Wheelin Sportsmen hunt in Greene County Tn. I got stuck in mud and cow crap up to my axles going in and had to be pulled out with a 4 wheeler but we still managed to get set up before day light and I got this bird at 7:45. My DSD Jake decoy worked like a champ once again. Three long beards tried to beat him down so I made the odds a little better for my little buddy and took one out of the fight. I've attached a video of the kill and the long beards whooping up on my decoy. If you turn your sound up you can here how hard they were flogging it. Sorry the quality isn't that great, but we forgot the video camera and had to use a cell.

congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Mooner99 View Post
    I finally got my wolf back from the Taxidermist and they put it up on the wall for me just above my TV.

here was the before picture a few years back.

My youngest son's first deer last November

He also got a nice little 6 pointer last year but not sure what i did with the pictures. Now that he can hunt he wants to go all the time we are looking forward to end of August for bow season. I am aloud to use my cross bow during bow season as i cant pull my bow anymore so we might try to find a nice little place to set up. Been talking to a lot more farmers this year as really want to find a good area to hunt with bow as it is a lot easier to call in Elk or Moose during that time as they are in their rut.

We will see what happens as a big elk is on my bucket list!

Mooner
    cool looking wolf and congrats to your son