Thread: Some Questions about Carbohydrates

Some Questions about Carbohydrates

I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to nutrition, but I do know carbohydrates play an important part. My questions are, Is it good to eat them at every meal, which are the best ones, and isn't milk considered a carbohydrate?

I'm guessing whole-grain pasta and brown rice are good, but I also like potatoes and breads.

I also wonder the differences in dietary needs between an active quad who uses a power wheelchair vs. an active para (or quad) who's pushing a manual wheelchair all day long.
    You Don’t Choose A Life, You Live One – “The Way”

dtoa -
    Milk is many things, protein, carbs (lactose), and some fat depending if it is skim, 1% or 4%.
    Skim milk is a great food for protein and a little bit of carbs.
    In general, unprocessed carbs like the ones you mentioned are better than processed one like white bread , white rice.

If you like bread, go whole grain.
    Potatoes have a 'high glycemic index' which means that they get into the blood stream quickly and can spike your insulin level which is not so good.
    So now a days, they are in disfavor.

I think the best advice is don't eat what your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. Which includes processed, packaged stuff, .
    She would recognize fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed things. She wouldn't recognize Slurpees and Monster drinks or Red Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    I think the best advice is don't eat what your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. Which includes processed, packaged stuff, .
    She would recognize fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed things. She wouldn't recognize Slurpees and Monster drinks or Red Bull.
    Someone's a Michael Pollan fan

Thanks. I'm always trying to eat healthy, but we do buy a lot of processed food because it's convenient. Right now we have quite a few packages of whole-grain microwavable rice that needs to be eaten and various frozen entrées. Planning meals ahead of time is something we talk about, but don't stick to it very well.

Stephan212 - thanks for the reference. I didn't remember where I heard that great expression.

I also love the saying - "Don't eat anything that won't eventually rot."

As a power chair user, the elaborate nutritional commandments that were drilled into me all boil down to: fats bad, carbs bad, proteins hugely important, vegetables and fruits good (and core of diet). Whole grains good but keep to a minimum (see carbs).
    Last edited by Liisa; 10-02-2010 at 04:42 PM.