Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am refusing!

Spidergirl,
    It is definitely doable. I know 2 people who completely broke from their chairs and made it happen. In one case it took 5 years of daily workouts before the commitment was made. I saw both from the beginning of their path to being without chairs and you can see at least one of them in videos on youtube.

His name is Mike Losee.

http://parawalk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    Maybe if we all did this, we can get a cure faster!
    Who exactly is the we you're addressing here?

Are you suggesting that those SCIs among us who rely on our wheelchairs (which must be what, 98% of the SCI population) are somehow capitulating to our injuries because we've chosen them over leg braces, despite that for the overwhelming majority of us that is a highly impractical, if not literally impossible, option?

I'm hoping your point is more nuanced than that, otherwise I have to say that what your proposition is fatuous. If I've missed your point, I would ask you to delve much, much deeper to explain what you're trying to get across.

We all wish that getting out of the chair and practicing walking would be availab to us all. Unfortunately a meidcal therapy for most of us is the only hope we have. Without nerves controlling muscles in the legs means a very dire task that will result in nothing but sore shoulders. That is only if we are persistent to test our shoulders to do the heavy lifting. We need something that will restore nerves to our muscles; simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Why don't we all pick up an umbrella and fly around like Mary Poppins or even Peter Pan, maybe we could visit never never land?
    How much is the surgery for that? I'd even put up with the gay little hat..

I guess her comments could have been posted in pararich's Life thread "forum to bitch and complain". Maybe then you guys wouldn't get so riled up; if I took to heart everything I read on the internet I'd be one miserable old man.

spidergirl, have you ever thought of SCI-Step or one of those places? Seems like an excellent place to start.

Even 25yrs later, I wonder about going there ... but it's pretty expensive for me relying only on my single work income.

How is there a practical way that a complete para can walk with
    braces? I'm positive that one would lose mobility and independence
    if they tried to use braces full time. At least one can carry things
    on their lap when wheeling around, there's little risk of injury from
    falling in a chair, and it's a lot easier/faster to move around in a chair.

How would walking in braces help the effort to find a treatment?
    The best way to speed up cure research is to donate money to
    clinical trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    How is there a practical way that a complete para can walk with
    braces? I'm positive that one would lose mobility and independence
    if they tried to use braces full time. At least one can carry things
    on their lap when wheeling around, there's little risk of injury from
    falling in a chair, and it's a lot easier/faster to move around in a chair.

How would walking in braces help the effort to find a treatment?
    The best way to speed up cure research is to donate money to
    clinical trials.
    Ya, I wondered the same thing. It's not like the wheelchair mfg'rers are keeping us in the chairs or anything, if they are its gotta be the coverup of the century. Yes and it can be downright dangerous to walk on leg braces for someone with a complete high level injury such as falling down a flight of stairs and that sort of thing. I did that once on my leg braces when I was young and crazy and fell down a whole flight of stairs. Amazingly enough I did not break anything. It still amazes me with all the crazy falls I've taken over the years that I have never broken one bone well accept for maybe a toe or two, but that did not affect anything.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

The last time I placed an order for a chair, I requested no stickers or names on the chair and they didn't put them on.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE View Post
    The last time I placed an order for a chair, I requested no stickers or names on the chair and they didn't put them on.
    I asked Bob Hall to leave off all the stickers on my second (now yours) Hallmark. It arrived with even more logos and branding than the first!

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    pretty sure she's talking about those that can actually walk etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    Maybe if we all did this, we can get a cure faster! I just refuse to use my chair anymore people
    I am pretty sure she said we all.

BTW..I have never used a wheelchair except for an electric scooter to walk my dogs long distances for the last 20 years so is she talking to me or am I one of the ones who don't understand?

It is nice to be determined and strong-willed but one must also be realistic too.

To be anything else kind of sounds like major denial.....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown