Thread: misaligned atlas vertebrae

Question misaligned atlas vertebrae

Hey, anyone have experience with or knowledge of realigning your first cervical vertebrae, nicknamed the atlas? I didn't realize I had a misaligned atlas until I went to a chiropracter 17 years after my incomplete spinal cord injury and nearly 16 years after fainting (after ear surgery) and falling on the side of my head (although I wondered why my neck didn't turn one way well, now it does). My spasticity immediately started with a vengeance after that second fall. It felt like something had become disconnected and now I learn that traumatic falls like that will dislodge the atlas which is a movable vertebrae to let you turn your neck. When its out of alignment it may squeeeze the spinal cord, too, but surely cause neurological problems or aches.

My chiropracter said it was so out of position that it would take months to fix, so I researched online and found there's a specialized procedure called atlas orthogonal that uses a high-tech machine to vibrate it gently into place with fewer treatments and orthogonal x-rays. After being scammed once and checking out board-certified doctors in this, I find out that many of them don't accept medicaid patients even if they can pay. This is very irritating. What's the alternative? Surely not surgery that could make it worse. Anyone have advice? Seems to me the aligned atlas is crucial for our natural recovery.

Jan
    Last edited by FellowHawkeye; 09-21-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    Hey, anyone have experience with or knowledge of realigning your first cervical vertebrae, nicknamed the atlas? I didn't realize I had a misaligned atlas until I went to a chiropracter 17 years after my incomplete spinal cord injury and nearly 16 years after fainting (after ear surgery) and falling on the side of my head (although I wondered why my neck didn't turn one way well, now it does). My spasticity immediately started with a vengeance after that second fall. It felt like something had become disconnected and now I learn that traumatic falls like that will dislodge the atlas which is a movable vertebrae to let you turn your neck. When its out of alignment it may squeeeze the spinal cord, too, but surely cause neurological problems or aches.

My chiropracter said it was so out of position that it would take months to fix, so I researched online and found there's a specialized procedure called atlas orthogonal that uses a high-tech machine to vibrate it gently into place with fewer treatments and orthogonal x-rays. After being scammed once and checking out board-certified doctors in this, I find out that many of them don't accept medicaid patients even if they can pay. This is very irritating. What's the alternative? Surely not surgery that could make it worse. Anyone have advice? Seems to me the aligned atlas is crucial for our natural recovery.

Jan
    Jan,

I am skeptical about what your chiropractor is saying. Have you had a second opinion from a neurosurgeon? I have not heard before of a condition in which the Atlas is out of position in the fashion that you describe. If you have compression of your spinal cord, this needs to be seen by a neurosurgeon right away. Otherwise, this sounds like a scam to me.

Wise.

thanks

No, haven't seen a neurosurgeon since my fusion surgery before the second fall. Sounds like a good idea to see one, though. My neck does turn much better now after seeing a chiropracter so my atlas must've needed adjusting. I just don't know if it still does.

Jan

If your Atlas is misaligned to that extreme, (or to any extent, for that matter) it will be apparent in an X-Ray.

Post-surgical manipulation of an injured spine should only be undertaken when recommended by, and in direct cooperation with, the surgeon and then only after careful examination.