Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy, couple questions

New guy, couple questions

Hello everyone,

Im Dave. I was injured in a motorcycle accident April 25th 2009. T5 complete. I've used this site for a few months but haven't ever posted anything or said hey. Thank you to everyone for sharing all the personal/practical things you have. I have learned alot from here. I've done well with adjusting to this style of life, always been someone that could overcome any obstacles in my way. I just turned 31 in August. I have two kids (of course they are the best two in the world). Son who will be 5 next month and daughter who will be 4 next month. Unfortunately I am divorced and was a couple years before my accident. I recently ended a relationship with my girlfriend of 3 years too. Not the best luck with women or motorcycles but I love them both . That was a different kind of heartbreak than I have ever experienced...lots different with a SCI! I live alone, I dont have anyone that cares for me. I couldnt be luckier to have the family and friends I have if I need them, Im just a very independent person. Im very active, work out, stretch, PT everyday...I will beat this, just might take a while. Don't really know what else to say about me but I wanted to at least say a little. If anyone has anyone questions or thoughts that would help or I can help with please ask, I would love to return any favors I could.

Different subject-
    I've decided that I want to try a treatment that I'm sure some of you are familiar with at the X-cell center in Germany. I've researched this place, several others. I understand that I may go there and come back worse but I feel its a risk worth taking. I guess I am looking for any input all of you may have. I have travelled all over the world, but I havent flown since my SCI. They say I will have to be over there for about a week, I may stay longer...why not German chicks are great (HA....jk). Has anyone gone there? thought about it? travel tips? etc? Figured this would be a good place to make sure I have planned everything right and make it as easy as I can. Thanks all

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Shemes; 09-21-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Hi Dave! Glad you found us but sorry you needed to, as they say. Cheers, from a fellow motorcycle crash survivor...well, half my body survived, anyway!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Welcome Dave. There are quite a few threads in the Cure forum that discuss X-cell and clinics like it. Unfortunately those therapies are unproven, but within the next 18 months there will be 3-4 clinical trials beginning that will hopefully lay the groundwork for more viable treatments.

Welcome Dave, remember to share and play nice.

Welcome Dave. I don't know a thing about the German trials, but am glad you decided to join us here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Shemes View Post
    Different subject-
    I've decided that I want to try a treatment that I'm sure some of you are familiar with at the X-cell center in Germany. I've researched this place, several others. I understand that I may go there and come back worse but I feel its a risk worth taking. I guess I am looking for any input all of you may have. I have travelled all over the world, but I havent flown since my SCI. They say I will have to be over there for about a week, I may stay longer...why not German chicks are great (HA....jk). Has anyone gone there? thought about it? travel tips? etc? Figured this would be a good place to make sure I have planned everything right and make it as easy as I can. Thanks all

Dave
    Welcome!

There is a lot of info on here about X-cell. I definitely wouldn't
    recommend their "treatment." They've supposedly already treated
    thousands of people. If there was any measurable recovery, I'm
    sure we'd have heard about it by now.

As mentioned earlier, there are a couple clinical trials that should
    start before the end of the year and then a few planned to
    start in 2011.

Don't waste the money/time on X-cell.

Thanks everyone. I try to stay up on all the new clinical trials, etc and don't expect a miracle from anything anytime soon. What I liked about X-cell is it seems to be the least invasive and in my mind that leaves things ok for something down the road. I understand not neccesarily clinical trials but I would be hesitant to try something like what Dr Lima does in portugal where its a bit more aggressive procedure, removing "scar" tissue. I appreciate your thoughts, part of me agrees with the "dont waste time or money" the other part says you cant take it with you and all I seem to have is time. The toughest thing about exercise/pt each day is not seeing much results! I feel like I have to try new things...work harder!

What about fun? What do you guys do? I got a handcycle this summer...thing takes some muscles I forgot about to use. Swimming is great. Probably going to a scuba diving clinic next month, try that. What else of our handi-sports do you guys do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Shemes View Post
    Thanks everyone. I try to stay up on all the new clinical trials, etc and don't expect a miracle from anything anytime soon. What I liked about X-cell is it seems to be the least invasive and in my mind that leaves things ok for something down the road. I understand not neccesarily clinical trials but I would be hesitant to try something like what Dr Lima does in portugal where its a bit more aggressive procedure, removing "scar" tissue. I appreciate your thoughts, part of me agrees with the "dont waste time or money" the other part says you cant take it with you and all I seem to have is time. The toughest thing about exercise/pt each day is not seeing much results! I feel like I have to try new things...work harder!

What about fun? What do you guys do? I got a handcycle this summer...thing takes some muscles I forgot about to use. Swimming is great. Probably going to a scuba diving clinic next month, try that. What else of our handi-sports do you guys do?
    My husband (T-7) and myself (functioning T-10) play wheelchair basketball, wheelchair tennis, sled hockey, waterski, snow ski, handcycle, do adaptive track and field, have bowled, have played wheelchair softball, golfed, and done archery. We would do more...but that damn thing called work gets in the way of it. Are there any adaptive programs in your area? I know that in Sterling Heights there was an adaptive program there...but I do not know if that is close to you or not. You will find that many on this site do many things...even still ride their motorcycle.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

i know one thing for sure about the stem cell treatment centers, they're making a lot of good $ that's for sure. and why shouldn't they be? people who are desperate are often times desperate to give away their $.