Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: getting perfect measurements

I would disagree with the comment about the 25s. If you have longer arms, you may find that pushing with 25s is actually easier. I used to use 24s and when I switched to the 25s, my push felt more efficient and it reduced a lot of shoulder fatigue. You will find though that everyone has their own preferences.

When we have to go and get measured, we bring the order form with us with what we want. We have them double check things like lower leg length (because that is kind of hard to measure...especially if it was screwed up on your first char), but then we stick to the things we know we want...like front and rear seat heights, width, depth, wheel size, etc. In the end you are the one that is going to be pushing the chair...so make sure you get what you want.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

maybe i dont have that long hand, so i find it otherwise.24" is easier to push, and responsive, while 25" is hard to stop and hard to push too...but i stay with 25" because the speed stays and i do more distance per push, thus less push per mile...^_^
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Ha. I'm more efficient pushing 25s with 26" tires. I can't stand 24s with everyday tires. The geometry of your setup will impact shoulder strain significantly more than wheel size. Body types are different, as are arm lengths, etc...

You guys are so helpful : ) Interesting on the cushions. I do have a Varilite, but it was horrible for my pressure. Roho high profile even wasn't so great. I have tunneling under the surface, and it's just been rough lately. Only thing that worked well was that dang Ride cushion, but cannot STAND how I sit in it. IN it heh. Course, I do think that if the shape wasn't so deep, it would work OK, but they made me one twice, and won't work with my anymore. I even had to sign a contract with the DME stating so. That DME won't deal with me any more, either! All because I bitched about this cushion not being right. Til they made me another nearly a year later :P

I don't grab my feet when transferring. I just push with my arms wherever. I think 15 is best probably. Then my legs will go back further on a footrest. And 1" of dump isn't that much, either. My Invacare has that, and it was fine. This Colours has 2", and it's not so fine for pressure. Adding an inch to the frame sounds like a great idea, for holding on and whatnot.

my 25" wheel makes my muscle bigger.not that i hate it, but i hate to be looking like an inverted pyramid...
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

you said that falling forward was an issue. sometimes dump can help with that, because your weight ends up staying back and not falling forward. basically you want to lighten the front end. i had a major problem with my first chair tipping forward, which got much worse (almost unusable) as my balance and trunk stability got worse. my 2nd chair actually has the same amount of dump, but i changed lots of other settings to fix the problem. i dropped my seat heights by 1/2 inch. the seat depth is 2" longer (but i still have room for all 4 fingers behind my knee) and i have an extra 1" of frame depth. my front angle is 85 instead of 87. also i have a tilite tr (box frame) which somepeople say is less likely to flex than l frames - i have no direct experience with the zr, but have heard people say it is not problematic - but i do have an aluminium l frame that does flex.

for cushions, it sounds as though you may benefit by being pressure mapped to help find the right choice. may sure you replicate your eventual measurements...

My problem with dump is that I am sooooo short bodied, it feels like I'm squished in the seat with dump, and my thighs are touching my ribs. Then it just puts a lot of pressure on wherever I sit the hardest. Bony prominences.
    I think this chair tips forward a lot- that's when it hits jagged sidewalk, basically, is the length of the chair is extremely compact. Less than 2 feet from rear to front of frame bars. Again, 5" wheels help a LOT, but then maneuverability really, really suffers. Not sure if frog legs would help, or make it worse? I just compensate by popping little wheelies over bumps and jaggedies.

Oh, and I just realized my rear wheels are indeed 24s. So I should stick with those. How Colours managed to get the side guards higher than the wheels, I dunno. Really hurts to get my pants on, that's for sure.

Anyone else here have a Jay3? I do like how it feels, but I am thinking I definitely need pressure mapping in it. I can tell that eventually it's going to mess me up. There's the air one, too. I'll look up those other cushions, but when I've searched, nothing looked like it would really work well.

well, in my case i dont use the sideguard to pull up pants.fendered sideguard is an exception, but all other sideguard isnt pants-pulling-friendly...i use my backrest instead...not that it's the right method.SCI_OTR mentioned that it may break down to pieces, so i try not to do it too harsh.sometimes i use my tire, where in my case my sideguard is profiled to my rear wheel...about your sideguard, u can always cut and grind it at any metal shop.they only use aluminum for their sideguard, or plastic (which makes cutting easier)...

bad mapping?just find your butt the best cushion and do push ups regularly.problem solved!
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

well, in my case i dont use the sideguard to pull up pants.fendered sideguard is an exception, but all other sideguard isnt pants-pulling-friendly...i use my backrest instead...not that it's the right method.SCI_OTR mentioned that it may break down to pieces, so i try not to do it too harsh.sometimes i use my tire, where in my case my sideguard is profiled to my rear wheel...about your sideguard, u can always cut and grind it at any metal shop.they only use aluminum for their sideguard, or plastic (which makes cutting easier)...

bad mapping?just find your butt the best cushion and do push ups regularly.problem solved!
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post

hello there... right now, i didt use a sideguard/armrest, backrest, wheel to pull my pants.... i only pull it over when one of my hand just stand on seat and pull my pants with another hand at my back...