Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Finally! A sewing machine for us crips!!!

I would like to open up a store called gimps and widows. well, maybe not, but something like that. all items are to be made by someone in their home.
    I was able to sell amost everything I made this past winter, so am busy sewing and dying my little dodads for this weekends farmers market. I cant sit for long hours, and I get spasms using the foot pedal, but well it does feel good to make something cool.

I have'nt sewed now for a little over a year. I too have a brother quilting machine. I bought that to replace my kenmore that did'nt make it in the move to TN. I miss that machine, it was getting pretty old, but still worked great and beats this brother to heck and back. One thing I miss is being able to hem blue jeans with no problems. This one will only do a single fold up, I want one that will do a double like a hem is suppose to be.

I was at JoAnn Fabrics last week for the first time in a long time and saw a Singer I think I might like. It's a new heavy duty 4423 with 23 stitch patterns and suppose to be able to hem blue jeans. I did'nt get a chance to really check it out, but if it will do what they say it will, I might be saving my change after Christmas for it. The one thing that surprised me replacing my old machine, is all the plastic that is used these days to make the machine. My Kenmore had been made of metal, they kind of feel cheap.....all that plastic.

There're a number of sites that will help you learn to sew. Threads magazine has a new video series out called: "Teach yourself to sew" or similar that you can access for free on the internet (follow my link). Reader's Digest has a great sewing book on all the basics - check eBay or Amazon for used copies if you want to save some $$.
    There are also some social sites, such as Pattern Review and Stitcher's Guild that are full of great people who love to talk about sewing and will help you with anything you need. I hang on Stitcher's Guild a lot - I'm BeeBee there, too. COme and say "hi!" PLEASE!
    If you have access to Thrift or "Junk" stores, comb them regularly for sewing stuff - including machines. I recently picked up a 1980's model New Home (Janome) for $15 at Sal Army that I don't think had ever sewn a stitch. All metal.
    BeeBee

The singer 4423 I want is 229 at JoAnn Fabrics. I was looking at it today on line, I wanted to see if somebody would show what the 23 stitches.

Amazon showed a site selling the machine for 45 percent off and free shipping. I don't normally do things like this, but I ordered it and got it for a little over 160 with the tax. I did'nt get a chance to go back to the store and check it out a little more, hope I don't regret the purchase.....

BeeBee and Skippy13 Thanks for info

I put the foot pedal between my chin and chest and use it that way.

Takes some prcatice but u get used to it.....lol

Art
    Art

heres some lil bags I made from scraps.

well that sucks. I wanted to show you what I have been making on my crappy sewing machine but cant upload the pictures. poo.

Too bad Jody, I would like to see what you have been making. If you are selling stuff, like at a flea market or whatever, you might want to try what my kids call a doo rag? My son in law wears the things on his head all the time. They're kind of like what a doctor wears? I make them all the time, they're easy and I have seen patterns for them if you can't make your own. I used an old one and just took it apart and after measurements made my own paper pattern. I give most of them away, but have sold a few. I do buy material for them, especially if I see something I want to use for them, but most of the time I make them out of scraps from something else. I just got my stuff out to make a few out of scraps of halloween print.

I have been doing some experimenting. occasionally I get a tie dye that is not real pretty, so I have been using them for bleach dying. I hope my picture comes up, cause its cool.