Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Cruise

Alaska Cruise

Just returned from my Alaskan cruise and had a blast! Alaska is absoulutely Awesome! We hit Ketchikan,Skagway,Juneau and Prince Rupert B.C.

Ketchikan we did a Seaplane to the Misty Fjords, Juneau I booked a private excursion for whale watching, Skagway we did the White pass train and Prince Rupert another seaplane over glaciers.

Way different experience then my Caribbean cruises and cant wait to go back
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

I am full of envy! I've always wanted to see the midnight sun, and the Alaska cruise is how I intended to do it. We planned to go in June 2005, but hurricanes Frances and Jeanne did a lot of damage, using those Alaska vacation dollars. Oh well --- next year. Then the hurricanes of '05 came. Katrina took the roof off our house, and Wilma destroyed our business. Man, I really want to see what you saw!

It's a great cruise to take. We've gone twice. Both times flightseeing with Island Wings in Ketchikan (not wheelchair accessible, so wife did a different tour there) and whale watching with Orca Enterprises in Juneau (fully accessible boat). The train in Skagway is also fully accessible.
    - Richard

been 4 times. would go 4 times again to alaska. caribbean cruise...eh. been there. i'll take alaska

Last edited by cass; 09-21-2010 at 01:29 AM.

We are def going back Cass! Carib is easy though since I live in Fl. Kinda spoiled being able to just jump in the car and drive to the ports but we've done every port in the caribbean so we're on to Alaska and Hawaii.

rfbdorf- We did Orca also they are great people! In Ketchikan I was originally booked to do the Deadliest Catch boat but we got into port late and it was canceled so Seaplane had openings they picked me up with ADA van but i had to be lifted into the plane by my brother. Prince Rupert was the same except bus wasn't accessible.

Sofla- You def have to try it! Took so many pics!

Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

More pictures, please.

I went a few years ago and by far that was my favorite vacation! I loved the whale watching tours and was fortunate to have seen Orca Whales! They actually were right outside the excursion boat...close enough to touch. Everything was accessible as far as what I did...and I would love to go back...this time with my husband.

Glad you had an awesome time!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Also I sailed on NCL Star. I wont sail NCL again! The food in the dining rooms as well as the buffet was not very good and always cold. I feel they try and push you to their specialty restaurants which we did try twice. Cagney's and Teppanyaki was great but $25 a head makes for a expensive cruise. I've done Carnival 10+ times and never had a issue also Royal Caribbean.
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

It sounds like all of you had a great time. My wife and I want to try one. Do you leave out of Seattle, Wa.? Can you recommend excursions on various ports. I am a T-10 complete but strong in a manual wheelchair. Also what is the best time to travel in Alaska? Is August the best month for the temperature? Did anyone go fishing?Thanks for the information.
    Best Regards,
    Joe

Yes I left out of Seattle. we did a RT Seattle cruise. I hear all sorts of opinions on cruise time we did Sept 4-11 weather was mid 60's with low 50's and we only had one day with misty rain in Skagway. Excursions are expensive seaplane was $300 a person being a para I think you would be fine getting in plane. Juneau we did Orca Enterprises whale watching,Ketchikan I hear the Deadliest Catch excursion is awesome. None of us fished but I know someone in a chair that did. Check out cruisecritic dot com tons of wheelchair excursion stuff there.

Steve
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05