Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of Thumb Movement?

Question Loss of Thumb Movement?

I can't believe I lost the movement in my thumb yesterday. I noticed I couldn't pick things up or hold things as well as I could & thats when I noticed a weakness & in sometimes no movement at all. I got this thumb movement back five years after my injury & its made a world of difference in my ability to hold things & pick things up use a fork, brush teeth, etc. If I lose this for good I will lose alot of my independence. I hope its not the dreaded Syrinx. I had Dr Barth Green take mri's when i was in Miami four years ago. But at that time he didn't see anything wrong but he did see cysts. But there was no loss of movement at that time just new burning pain in my hands. I'm now living near Philadelphia. I hope theres a surgeon here that could look at a new mri. I don't feel like traveling to Miami. Any thoughts?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Another possibility to consider in the differential diagnosis is CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome). EMG/NCS (nerve conduction studies) can determine this and can be performed by a physiatrist or neurologist.

Hi Norm. The suddenness of your loss of thumb movement makes me wonder about various compression issues, and as PaidMyDues says, EMG/NC studies are probably called for; I would also want to get another MRI, since it has been four years since the last study. You might not need a surgeon at all, a neurologist could probably guide you through the next steps.

I hope you can regain function of the thumb, my left one barely works at all and the right one is quite weak - that small digit's contribution to independent living is huge.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 09-20-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: sentence structure

I am in the Philadelphia area. I would recommend a neurosurgeon, primarily because if you need surgery, it is not the second stop in the line. With a neurologist, it would be. Personal opinion - that is all.

Thomas Jefferson University Hospital is the site of the Regional SCI Center of Delaware Valley (one of the model system centers). Their neurosurgeons are well versed in spinal cord injury and disease. I would recommend that you call there as a starting point.

CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I am in the Philadelphia area. I would recommend a neurosurgeon, primarily because if you need surgery, it is not the second stop in the line. With a neurologist, it would be. Personal opinion - that is all.

Thomas Jefferson University Hospital is the site of the Regional SCI Center of Delaware Valley (one of the model system centers). Their neurosurgeons are well versed in spinal cord injury and disease. I would recommend that you call there as a starting point.

CKF
    I'm heading to see my Doctor at Magee Rehab in Philly tomorrow.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

Used to work there - best place in the area. Let us know what's up.
    CKF

I'm seeing Dr. Formal.

Very strange. My thumb came back today. Just as strong as before. I'm still going to have everything checked out.

Wow, Norm, that's wonderful! I think you're wise to see the doctor anyhow, but what a blessing to have your thumb back.

Tell Dr. Formal an old friend says hi!
    CKF