Thread: replacing bearings on back wheel

replacing bearings on back wheel

I need a step by step if anyone is willing... just the standard 24 x 1 3/8 wheel that comes on a Quickie GPV. Or if you could point me to a video that shows how...

(posted first by another member)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    (posted first by another member)
    Saw that but not sure what wheel that was on but nothing like mine,,,Wish mine appeared that straight forward. Thanks anyway

How much different is it? Are the bearings rusted in? You can find a lot of youtube videos to see the process.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    How much different is it? Are the bearings rusted in? You can find a lot of youtube videos to see the process.
    Well I see now that the bearing casing is completely out and I was thinking part of it was still in there, and that is why I was thinking it was different. so I need to get a new bearing and tap it in there. Could not find any videos on youtube about it but maybe I am not using the right search words to bring them up if they are on there. It was not rusted in it came apart while I was out cycling using my attachment. The bearing on the front side of the back wheel is the one that failed and it had the push release button on the axle in a bind and was a real problem to get off the chair. In fact I had to take the axle sleeve off the chair so I could work on it to finally get it to where the button would push in and come out of the axle sleeve. In the above linked pdf it talks about a bolt to tap in new bearing. Anyone know what size bolt I need

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Well I see now that the bearing casing is completely out and I was thinking part of it was still in there, and that is why I was thinking it was different. so I need to get a new bearing and tap it in there. Could not find any videos on youtube about it but maybe I am not using the right search words to bring them up if they are on there. It was not rusted in it came apart while I was out cycling using my attachment. The bearing on the front side of the back wheel is the one that failed and it had the push release button on the axle in a bind and was a real problem to get off the chair. In fact I had to take the axle sleeve off the chair so I could work on it to finally get it to where the button would push in and come out of the axle sleeve. In the above linked pdf it talks about a bolt to tap in new bearing. Anyone know what size bolt I need
    I use a large socket as a drift to drive the new bearing home. I think I use a 13/16" socket - but the size isn't critical. Anything that spreads the impact evenly and fits your bearing will do. The idea is to seat the bearing without tearing it up. Look carefully and use the minimum force required. It's not very technical, and it's not the end of the world if you make a mistake. Good luck!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I use a large socket as a drift to drive the new bearing home. I think I use a 13/16" socket - but the size isn't critical. Anything that spreads the impact evenly and fits your bearing will do. The idea is to seat the bearing without tearing it up. Look carefully and use the minimum force required. It's not very technical, and it's not the end of the world if you make a mistake. Good luck!
    Thanks...I just have never done this particular thing before. The bearing came apart while in use and now that I got a bearing out of an old hub I realize that the outer casing of the old bearing is still in the hub that I want to put the bearing in and I really do not see a way to get it out so I can put the replacement in...

Blog Entries
    If the inner race is all that is left, you might be able to put in a flat blade screwdriver from the other side and tap it out. If your hub is the type that gets smaller in the center (like in the PDF), that won't work. In that case your best bet is to take it to a good mechanic who can use a bearing puller to remove it.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury