Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condo with Potential in TORONTO

Condo with Potential in TORONTO

I see so much potential here ... I'm not okay with how it's decorated ... but can't afford it anyway. $600,000 for over 1500 sq ft! In Windsor, my condo came in just under $130,000 and is 1024 sq ft. My condo fees are almost $220 per month and taxes are approx $2100 per year. I'd hate to see what taxes are in Toronto and most of the condo fees look to be $500 and up!

I would love to re-locate to Toronto but I just simply can't afford it. Damn!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...9518105&ref=mf

Probably sold already anyway. That real estate agent seems to specialize in barrier-free homes ... wish there were more like him!

Still looking and pondering ...

With hydro going up as much as it is, it's going to be more difficult to live on one's own! Water is included in my condo fees ... they went up too. I try and do my laundreary at night as rates are $0.053/kWh whereas it's $0.099 from 7am - 9pm.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 09-16-2010 at 07:54 AM.

OMG! That place is beautiful. I love the use of primary colors, and the wall of glass would have me staring at the city lights for most of the night. I could never afford it either, but it is gorgeous. Just so you can fully appreciate the "deal" you already have, my condo is only 450 sq. ft. and cost $20,000 more than yours did. Boston prices are absurd!

450 sq ft? I'd go nuts! I lived in a small 600 sq ft apartment for like eight years. I was glad to leave it behind!

Here I see the occasional laker ship go by, as well as tourist boats from the Detroit side lit up at night, Belle Island (Michigan side) and some of the Detroit River. I joke that I have to strain my neck because it's across a parking lot, a road and inbetween two taller buildings .. lol.

No doubt that Windsor Real Estate is cheap.

I've since looked around that area online and that particular condo is waaaay overpriced. I think that real estate agent is overpricing them based on the fact that they're wheelchair accessible ... and if you asked me, it may have been owned previously by someone in a wheelchair, but the way it is decorated now, I'd say the person can at least walk (with how close the furniture is, the microwave out of reach, etc).

That's a concern of mine .. will I get more, the same or less than other condos because of the wheelchair accessible factor?

Hi Lynnifer,
    Yes, I live in 450 sq. feet. It gives an enforced Zen quality to my living space though, as I must be very neat or it would look like some hoarder lived here. On the plus/minus side it is a studio, so they did not make the mistake of putting a seperate bedroom in this footage, with the walls that woud make maneuvering difficult. It is actually OK for me, and I left a six room house behind to come here! I also have a balcony, which is of paramount importance to me, and it is not one of those silly "Julliet" balcones, but a real honest-to-God balcony capable of four chairs and a table that I have an electric grill perched on. I didn't want to be terribly high up in the building, but I have a nice view of the side yard and a line of trees beyond. On the plus side too is the fact that no one expects me to put them up when they come to Boston now. Hotel right down the street for them, and less work for me. I live a few miles out from downtown Boston, and to let you know just how insane the prices are here, if my condo was in certain neighborhoods of downtown Boston it would sell for $700,000 or even up to $800,000 for the same 450 sq. feet with parking EXTRA. Mine, at least, included a garage parking spot!
    When I bought mine I made it clear they were going to have to make changes. They widened the bathroom door to 36" for me, which required also removing a wall in the bathroom itself. They had just put new flooring in the whole condo, and the bathroom had to be re-done once the wall was removed. They also put up some shelves for me at wheelchair height. They did this without chargine one extra cent over what the purchase price was already set at, so I think if you are looking you can make certain demands or requests and be somewhat surprised to have them honored. If it is a big enough building they already have a crew, so it is not that big a deal for them. I had originally told them here that any door about 30" would be fine. They called me back to say they had some of the super sturdy wood doors that are used as entry to the unit doors and were 36" wide, and would I "mind" if they used one of those? Yipeee! A three foot wide door is heaven!

Windsor's bargain basement housing prices lure big city buyers:

http://www.windsorstar.com/business/...620/story.html

Ugh.

Nice place.... Is AccessibleHomeFinder.com available here Atlanta GA
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Hi Lynnifer- Check out MLS.ca they have some reasonably priced condos especially in west end resale around Burnhamthorpe and east or west mall area. www.upsidedowncondoprices.com There's areas that have a TTC community bus also and of course TTC wheeltrans. I live in Scarborough and the TTC buses have kneeling buses and room for wheelchairs also. I was born and lived here all my life and lived all over the city, depends on your lifestyle and job if you work where you want to live. I bought this house in Scarborough for $273,000 but have to give it up since I'm disabled now and don't have the income anymore. Better yet if you have friends or family here to want to move here. I find the summer pollution not as bad as the outskirts where I live and what a drag to move back to the city to an apartment. Great place to live in TO and lots of things to do here and great opportunity to find jobs being in the big city. Best wishes. Cher

I did check out MLS - lots of open concept places but the bathroom remains a problem with sink, toilet and tub all on one wall and in a small room.

For States other than Florida, try here: http://www.wheelchairaccessiblehomes...tingsNONFL.htm

Not to change the subject, but lynnifer, your pix is a bit on the...scary side.

Bad news for Canadians looking to buy property in Toronto, from today's financial papers.......

"There are other inflation hedges, like Canadian property for example. In Toronto we have seen a huge increase in overseas buyers of condos and houses. The stable/strong Canadian dollar is evidence that foreign buyers have been hoovering up Canadian assets generally the past 2 years. We are now perceived as a safe-haven country, even an alternative play on precious metals and commodities with our wealth of natural resources. (The Toronto stock exchange is as influenced by movements in gold and oil as by the S&P index). Our market view sums it up I think:"

http://www.victormartin.ca/market%20view%20page%203.html