Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad pain days following good pain days

I have been reading these posts to my husband.
    He said it makes him feel less alone knowing others understand the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I have been reading these posts to my husband.
    He said it makes him feel less alone knowing others understand the pain.
    keep reading them, linda. he is FAR from alone. i don't know if you saw my thread on the book, The Pain Chronicles. you'd think i make money bringing it up, lol. i just like the book.

Yes, that book Cass mentioned is wonderful and I am so grateful to her for recommending it - it's a really well informed and companionable book, and you feel as if the author (Melanie Thernstrom) actually gets it. She has chronic pain, herself, and that is the basis of her quest for information. The book is written with humor (I know, it doesn't seem possible), compassion and grace. Thanks again, Cass.

Yep-- same experience here -- 1 day on, 1 day off; 2 days on, 1 day off, etc -- with all the predictability of the roulette wheel -- Oh Well -- It is what it is...

Today I am pain free, tomorrow I will have a phantom sensation of burning cramps in my lower abdomen, my bum and my thighs even though I have no genuine feeling in those areas. The day after will be pain free and the day after that will be painful and the pattern has been like that for the last twelve and a half years, since a few months after I broke my back towards the end of 1997. The pain will be moderate in the morning and afternoon and will build up and become quite intense in the early evening, decreasing towards bed time usually but sometimes I just go to bed because it is too painful to stay up. Nobody can explain to me why it follows this absolutely clockwork pattern so I try to be thankfull that half my life is pain free as I know that for many people that would be fantastic beyond belief.

C-5/ C-6, We never know

There is never a day when you know that all is going to be fine. I just get up and try to complete what I am able to do before the back gives out or the fatigue sets in. I tend to overdo it on good days only to pay for it later.The weather is changing here in Ky., the cold is already kicking my ass. I find that i get sick alot more and easier than pre-injury, anyone else. Time to wrap it up and get wrapped up.

Quote Originally Posted by xtravla View Post
    There is never a day when you know that all is going to be fine. I just get up and try to complete what I am able to do before the back gives out or the fatigue sets in. I tend to overdo it on good days only to pay for it later.The weather is changing here in Ky., the cold is already kicking my ass. I find that i get sick alot more and easier than pre-injury, anyone else. Time to wrap it up and get wrapped up.
    " Who was I before this thing took me"

My good days and bad days alternated like clockwork for five years -- literally, I could predict from a month out what kind of day I'd have. But with the additional med I'm taking (nortriptylene, on top of my previous meds -- neurontin plus small doses of xanax and vicadin) the schedule has finally been changed. Now I'll get two or three good days in a row sometimes before a bad day kicks my butt.

On a related note, I've discovered that if I exercise a lot on a good day, it will make the subsequent bad day worse, but if I exercise a lot on a bad day, it makes no difference the next good day. We're all different, and it's all weird, for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by xtravla View Post
    Yes xtrvla, I certainly can relate to the shift to the colder temps. Anything below 60 degrees F, or a cool wind, locks me up with incredible tone. Last winter, being my first winter out of inpatient rehab, I naively approached the season with the usual casual winter wear that I wore prior to my accident. For this approaching winter, I've already armed myself with an arsenal of clothes for layering, as well as; coats scarves, hats and gloves. Does anyone split their time between, say the northeast and the south, in places such Fld or the Caribbean? My insurance company has already made such recommendation in an effort to stop paying LTD. Easier said then done for most of us!!
    Last edited by Patty41; 10-06-2010 at 10:28 PM.