Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you weight yourself?

how do you weight yourself?

well it's been just over a year from my accident, I know I used junk food as a crutch to deal with my crash. I worked out all the time before so I'm no stranger to the gym.

But how do you keep track of your progress? My quad gut is my focus, do you guys just measure by inches or is there a way to weight yourself since your stuck in the chair?

For you guys who did Weight Watchers, how did they keep track? How much weight did you loose?
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Many people weigh themselves at a local hospital or rehab center that has a wheelchair accessible scale. You then need to transfer out of your chair and weigh it as well (unless you already know accurately how much it weighs).

Some people weigh by getting a scale attachment added to their mechanical lift (ceiling or mobile lift). Some just transfer onto a regular foot scale that they place on a bench or chair, but this can be a tricky transfer and of course you have to balance without holding onto anything or having your feet touch the floor.

(KLD)

The rehab ward at our local hospital has a chair scale. I transfer on to the chair which is mounted on a scale and I get weighed (not sitting in my wheelchair). My physiatrist made arrangements with the nursing staff that I would be coming by from time to time. They have always been very accommodating and nice about my using the chair.

All the best,
    GJ

Many Post Offices have a platform scale that is flush with the floor- that's what I use.

Veterinarians offices typically have scales that accommodate large pet crates. If your chair isn't too ginormous you might be able to use one of these.

Hey Phil and Stephen,
    Great, creative ideas!!!!!

All the best,
    GJ

wow, some great ideas. I called my hospital and they don't have a chair scale in the rehab but they sometimes use the industrial scale in the laundry department.

how about Weight Watchers?

Dewie27, How did you get yourself away from the junk food? Sarah is a junk food junky and always has been. There is a basket handy so that she is never without food - see Sarah does not ever get out of bed at this point without help. Getting closer, but not yet.

We are noticing the quad belly starting and her weight gain. Time to get her more focused on the right kind of foods which is going to be a true tough task for her.

I have never done this, but would it work to go to a gas station with a truck scale and weigh your vehicle with you in it then with no one in it. Don't know if those scale would be accurate to the pound.

hey fellers, I went to the hospital and asked someone different and after a few calls they found one on a different floor buried under boxes and dust. It was one that weighed both me and chair, so now I have to sucker someone to stand on a scale with the chair and I'm off to the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's Mom View Post
    Dewie27, How did you get yourself away from the junk food? Sarah is a junk food junky and always has been. There is a basket handy so that she is never without food - see Sarah does not ever get out of bed at this point without help. Getting closer, but not yet.

We are noticing the quad belly starting and her weight gain. Time to get her more focused on the right kind of foods which is going to be a true tough task for her.

Sarah's Mom, My wife and I where both health freeks before the accident. I don't know if it was a way to cope with the accident or if it was the amount of junk food that visitors gave me while I was in the hospital that jump started it. What ever it was I know what Sarah is feeling and it's a hard habit to quit. Some people come home from rehab and drink, some do drugs, some go to dark places, and some get their release from eating junk.

I know if a drug addict wanted to kick the habit, keeping a stash at their bed side isn't the best idea. For that matter get it out of the house. When I first got home I tried to kick the habit but my wife wasen't ready so she brought the junk food home and I ate it.

The way I lost 50lbs as an able bodied was.
    -eat healthy ofcourse
    -never eat past 7pm
    -go to the gym 5 days a week for atleast an hour
    -try to get an hour of cardio even they days away from the gym
    -protien shakes after each workout
    -I gave myself one day a week (fridays for me) where I could eat out for supper, and have a snack (choc bar or chips) before bed.

After a month of that and fast food tasted horrible making it so much easier to make healthy choices. I know being in a chair getting cardio is hard to do but either buy a arm bike, go to the gym or hit the trails and work up a sweat. I decided I'm going to start Monday, starting weight 212.7lbs with the manual chair. Me and my wife are starting this time making it easier. wish me luck.

Good luck with Sarah, if she can't work up the motovation herself maybe to entise her with a prize or gift if she lose's XXlbs or something stupid. But I know when people where pushing me I wanted to wheel over them go grab a box of donuts or chips and wheel over them again and go to bed. She has to make the decision