Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handbikers in CT or lower NY

handbikers in CT or lower NY

I just got a custom made handbike, new to USA and looking for folks/organizations/races that shelter this discipline.... where do you handbike? I for now have hard time with hills.... tnx for help
    C5 with no grip/wrist ext. or triceps
    (DHAL) If you think you can, you will

Hi Dianka, I'm from R.I next State over from you. Not sure what part of CT your from but if your not too far from R.I there is a nice bike path over in Coventry (near the CT border) and maybe we could meet up sometime to do a ride there. I'm a avid handcyclist and always like to see new people getting into the sport. I was just reading your profile and it sounds like you are doing really well for just 1.5 years post injury. Handcycling is awesome, gets you outside and exercising and is a blast. The more you ride the stronger you will get and the further you will be able to ride. I've been handcycling now for over ten years and been SCI'd for 29 years.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

cool. well i have no gripp but we found a way to fix it .... i just started and the biggest issue is getting in/out of the bike... do u have a special cushion for sitting?

There are several back threads on getting on and off the bike D. Sounds like you may be a c5/6 injury. Fuentes and a few others here are the same level so I'm sure they can help.

The chair site in the "trough" making the seat of the chair and h/c the same height.

I am from CT and we ride usually on the rail trails. We have been on the Farmington Rail trail (that I believe goes through Avon) and the Cheshire Rail trail. Gaylord Hospital in Wallingford is starting a handcycle club and they plan at least 4-5 rides a year. Get in touch with Todd Munn (the theraputic recreation guy) at Gaylord and see about getting in that club.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Dianka View Post
    I just got a custom made handbike, new to USA and looking for folks/organizations/races that shelter this discipline.... where do you handbike? I for now have hard time with hills.... tnx for help
    Is Central Park too far south for you? That's where I handcycle.

You can try Cove Island Park in Stamford or Veterans Park in Norwalk. They're both very flat.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I am from CT and we ride usually on the rail trails. We have been on the Farmington Rail trail (that I believe goes through Avon) and the Cheshire Rail trail. Gaylord Hospital in Wallingford is starting a handcycle club and they plan at least 4-5 rides a year. Get in touch with Todd Munn (the theraputic recreation guy) at Gaylord and see about getting in that club.
    Yes, that sounds like a good plan, after I posted I noticed the Lower NY part in the title, you'd probabley be a couple hours away from Coverntry R.I. thats where bike-on is located though right here in little Rhody.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Do they also adjust/repair handbikes?
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 09-23-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianka View Post
    Do they also adjust/repair handbikes?
    Yes they do, they ship them up to a guy in Maine named Andy Barker who is the "Handcycle guru" he can do amazing things with handcycles including making them more Quad Friendly, they do sell a Handcycle called the "Quad Pro" I was just on the phone with them today, they are a great group of guys and gals there, they also sell wheelchairs and wheelchair accessories now.

Sorry for the edit under your post above, I meant to hit the quote tab and hit edit instead, late.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred