Dr.Young
I am a 46 yoa male and was in a vehicle crash on 1-4-10. The driver hit me on the driverside door at 45 mph. Since the crash I have had headaches, neckpains, aching pain in my right shoulder running down the back side of my right arm, right hand weakness, numbness, aching and clumbsy. Stabbing pain in right shoulder blade aera. Some aching in left hand and foot as well as rt foot.

On 2-3-10 went to a Orthopaedic Surgeon who perscribed PT for 4 weeks 3x/week. Did not improve got worse.

On 3-17-10 had MRI results as follows:

Sagittal and axial T1 and T2 weighted images of the C Spine performed

Findings:
There is maintenance of vertebral body and disc space height with straightening of normal lordosis. The bone marrow signal is homogeneous and shows no edema. Marginal osteophyte formation is noted. There is desiccation of discs.

The visualized portions of the posterior fossa of the brain are unremarkable. Within the cervical cord at the level of C5-C6 is a 0.4 cm area of increased T2 signal slightly eccentric to the right of midline.

At C2-C3 there is a diffuse disc bulge asymmetric to the left with mild narrowing of the central canal and left neural foramen. The right neural formen is patent.

At C3-C4 there is a diffuse disc bulge with mild narrowing of the central canal and right neural formen. There is severe narrowing of the left neural formen.

At C4-C5 there is a diffuse disc bulge with severe stenosis of the central canal and neural formina.

At C5-C6 there is diffuse disc bulge with a focal central posterior disc protrusion. There is deformity of the cord with severe stenosis of the central canal and neural formina.

At C6-C7 there is a diffuse disc bulge with severe narrowing of the central canal and neural foramina.

At C7-T1 there is diffuse disc bulge asymmetric to the right with moderate narrowing of the central canal and neural foramina.

Impression: Multilevel degenerative change as described. Findings are most significant at C5-C6 there is deformity of the cord. There is a small focus of increased T2 signal within the cord which may reflect edema and or myelomalacia.

On 3-18-10 went to Orthopedic surgeon who said I would need a 2 level ACDF at C5-6 C6-7 to decompress spinal cord. Seen Neurosurgeon on 4-14-10 who comfirmed the need to decompress the cord with a 2 level ACDF at C5-7.
5-10-10 had surgery by Orthopedic surgeon ACDF C5-7 with plate.

Still having problems as listed above as well as increased aching pain in left hand and feet. Still stabbing pain in shoulder blade. Blood pressure has been from very high to very low been on medication for it since may 11. Never had HBP or LBP prior. I get electric shock feeling that goes down into my rt hand if I get startled or if I move my head. I get a crunching / cracking noise from my lower neck from time to time. Small spasms in chest and arms.

I have finished my PT post op and continue to do exercises every day and have been walking 3 miles a day. Every day feels like the first day. Dont seem to be getting better.

My last follow up was 9-14-10 xrays look good. I keep asking when and if I can return to work as a police officer. he keeps saying lets see how you are doing next time.

My questions are:

How serious is my injury.
Will it get worse.
Can I do police work again.

Thanks