Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Check out this guy's elevator!

Here's another cool elevator product. http://www.decklift.com/
    It's not as cool as the guy in England's that I posted first but it's easy to see how it works. I'm going to make something along the same lines to replace the stairs to my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by skippopotamus View Post
    Here's another cool elevator product. http://www.decklift.com/
    It's not as cool as the guy in England's that I posted first but it's easy to see how it works. I'm going to make something along the same lines to replace the stairs to my basement.

Not bad. Though I think the green house/door setup on the second page of the brochure is looking for trouble.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Very nice!
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

I like that counterweight design. And adjusting with water ballast is cleaver too.

Pat

That is elegant!
    Rich

glad you like it guys!

Quote Originally Posted by beerod View Post
    glad you like it guys!
    Welcome to the elevator guy, how does it safely lock into position on the 2nd floor?
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

ta for the welcome!

i'll give you a bit of an overview of the lift/elevator. i'll start by saying that the video was taken on day one. my knowledge of using it has now increased that i really fly between floors now, faster than someone could run up the stairs. it's really very liberating, leave your car keys up stairs? no problem.. up and down again in less than 30 seconds. i'm VERY pleased with it in operation.

so.. to your question, the car locks into position at both the top and bottom of travel, it needs to do this because the total mass of the counter weights is the same as the combined mass of myself, the chair plus the car.(actually the weights are around 10 kg heavier to allow for fine adjustment of the balance point in the way of adding or subtracting ballast to the car) in effect, if the rider steps off at the bottom when the car isn't locked in position, the weights fall downwards and the car upwards because of the imbalance. the piece of hardware i used to lock in position is known as an index plunger. it is welded into the frame of the car and the pin locates into one of two holes drilled into the steel post/runner at the bottom and at the top of travel. index plunger here..

http://www.zycon.com/Profile/Carr-La...-Plungers.html

i love the idea that others may adopt the design for their own home as i love this so much.

awesome. i need to make something to get up into our loft. its huge, would make a better gym, more room for new equipment...........

there are a ton of homemade wc lift/elevators on youtube.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer