Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Check out this guy's elevator!

Quote Originally Posted by kurtsang View Post
    Here are some pictures. Hopefully this gives you some idea of the setup. Tracks on the wall. The platform sits on a frame. The frame has 3 sides and open in the front. The platform is on hinges and folds up so others can go down the steps. The weight is concrete in a well casing approx 250 pounds. 1 cable on each side hooks to the back of the platform and pulls the weight up as I go down the steps. I drop a pin in each side of the track at the bottom of the steps before getting off so the weight does not drop and shoot the platform back up the steps.

Are the tracks attached to the studs or is there some other form of support?
    Do you use the handrails to propel and slow down?
    Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore

The tracks are bolted into the studs. I use the handrails to propel myself up and down. As long as the weight is the same as the weight going down the steps it takes very little effort to propel yourself.
    Last edited by kurtsang; 09-15-2018 at 10:08 AM.

The tracks are bolted into the studs. I use the handrails to propel myself up and down. As long as the weight is the same as the weight going down the steps it takes very little effort to propel yourself.
    I see what you mean. Thanks for the additional pics and explanation.
    Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore

That is a great solution. Simplicity. That attracts me.
    This lift is no where near the same scale but is only required to get to deck level but is capable of 1.2 metres travel. The limiting factor is the ram' and rams can be made any length. Same also for the lift frame.
    This is a now defunct model due to all the hooha and sophisticated requirements of legislation etc.
    All galvanised 40mm RHS frame. A 4 inch stainless steel ram ( with nylon carrier for the single lip seal).
    The piston has an effective surface area of 12 square inches. At given water pressure gives plenty of lift capacity.
    Water powered from the domestic supply it wastes about 6-7 litres for each 3 foot movement' so gives about 125+ movements (ascent / decent) per cubic metre of water, so it's quite economic to use.

No electrics or hydraulic pump concerns either. Simple is good and long lasting/low maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by slow_runner; 09-21-2018 at 08:49 AM.

You could probably build a counter weight lift like brod hart's system using this guys garage attic lift if you can figure out how to lock the lift on the tracks. Take out the cable hoist and add weights if you desire to do it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjlZHgo2w-Q

You could probably build a counter weight lift like brod hart's system using this guys garage attic lift if you can figure out how to lock the lift on the tracks. Take out the cable hoist and add weights if you desire to do it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjlZHgo2w-Q
    Very nice deal! Pretty easily fabricated. I like the tracks and rollers. I hadn't seen them before or I would have used them here.
    ( I mounted this filter on garage door tracks because it needed to be closer to the surface of the water of the tank above it but I need to be able to get it down so I could service it; the other filter is on wheels and rolls out of the way)
    Last edited by pfcs49; 09-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

and while on the subject of elevators, here's mine if you haven't seen it:
    NW NJ

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    That looks sweet.

Did you design and build that?
    Is it manual?
    all by counterweight ?

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    That looks sweet.

Did you design and build that?
    Is it manual?
    all by counterweight ?
    No. I picked it up disassembled from an elevator company that replaced it with modern stuff. It's counterweighted with a simple but very clever locking coupling that stop it as soon as weight come out of the cab.
    It was early 20th century, made in Poughkeepsie, NY. FDR's mansion just up the road has a near identical unit. They were called invalid lifts.
    It's pretty and pretty fast. Perfect for my 3 stories. Paid $1200 for it (+ my carpenter installed it. He had to fabricate the darker "derrick" part of 6x6s
    It's rope pull; the counterweights are on the left, on the two down-cables.
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    and while on the subject of elevators, here's mine if you haven't seen it:
    I think there are many of us who will forever be envious of your clever little contraption, pfcs