Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever grow a thick skin and not allow others actions to hurt you?

Do you ever grow a thick skin and not allow others actions to hurt you?

Today while shopping at Wal-Mart, I attempted to reach a couple of cans of a product from a top shelf. The cans were about two inches back from the lip of the shelf, and because the low of range of motion in my shoulders and lack of fine motor function in my right wrist and hand, I was unable to grasp the cans. I was already in incredible nerve pain and my tone was super high. Standing in the isle there was young guy wearing a Wal-Mart smock, talking with another lady. As their conversation came to an end, I politely asked him if he could get the two cans for me. This person gives me a "matter of fact" look, and without saying a word, pulled the cans off the shelf and shoved them in my hands. Of course, I dropped one of them At that point, the young boy continues walking away, with not even as much as an "I'm sorry", or an offer to pick-up the can. In the isle coming from the opposite direction, there was an elderly gentleman who stopped, picked up the product and handed it to me. By that time, I had tears in my eyes and started to cry--making an already awkward situation, completely embarrassing. Now mind you, I do my level best not to ask for help, but there are just times I can't do some things, and try to reason that it's better to ask for help rather then fall, or make a big mess. I only wish I could have a thicker skin when people act like this young kid, and laugh it off, rather then allowing the circumstances make me cry. Now that I'm home and the nerve pain has eased a bit...I'm so dang mad at myself!! Thanks for letting me vent. ") Patty

Patty, you sound like a sweatheart.(that's a good thing.) but maybe you might just try lettin' the hulk out just once and see how you like it. (i am careful to let him out but i do enjoy it when i do)

i am not a sweatheart. I've been told that i'm an ice cold stoic and hard as a coffin nail.

In your situation, i would have made the kid pick up the can and follow me around the store till i was done shoppin'.

No, i don't expect the world to bend over backwards for me cause i busted my back, but fer hell sakes this is insane, people can see i'm 4' tall and reachin' fer somthin' why not just grab it. You asked politely i'm sure, so the punk should've been decent and just left it at that.

See ya later. Travis

Sorry this happened to you Patty, shake it off and don't be afraid to ask for help, this kid is not the norm I find the help at wal-mart and target to be polite and helpful.

Call Wal-Mart. Tell the manager.

you think about it to much, the kid doesn't know any better, dont get upset, set a goal and get it done no matter what.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    wal-mart sucks. the one i go to never has any baskets and when i complain that they need to get more, they tell me to use those crappy shopping scooters, which are usually all out for joy rides anyway. i ask them whose gonna watch my $5000 chair so it doesn't get stolen they get all crappy. they have that sign on the front door about accomadating customers with disabilities, but obviously don't do anything to help. complain at walmart.com, that will get an immediate response, they don't wanna get sued.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Call Wal-Mart. Tell the manager.
    the managers are idiots too

That makes me so angry Patty.
    I don't understand people like that at all.

You have to have a thick skin to be like this.

yes, you do have to grow a thicker skin. most folks don't mean to be clueless. who knows one day in a helpless moment he may remember your tears and understanding will dawn on him.
    I know about pain and how it can wear you out. you may sometimes just have to take little rests when you are out and in pain like that. I guess, you have to see folks for what they are. In their own reality, getting by in their own way. If we let it get to us, take it personally it will wear on you as well.