Thread: My 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan (Entervan)

My 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan (Entervan)

I hope this is the right place to put this. I thought some of you mechanically aware people might be able to help.

I am not experiencing any mechanical, safety or emissions problems with my car, but because I have "no power to pin 16" it will not pass inspection on the Massachusetts RMV's new computers. The mechanics have crawled all over the car looking for bad fuses, wires, etc, but find nothing wrong. They always ask if the cigarette lighter works, which it does. They tell me that my car is not made with a pin 16, but the RMV insists it does saying cars after 1996 have it....the mechanics say no...and mine is a 1998....any ideas???
    Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
    Franklin D. Rosevelt

Here is a good site to ask a mechanic. I believe its a pin or prong in the diagnostic connector under the dash? This i learned from reading on that site. http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...no-accessories
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Tweetybird View Post
    I hope this is the right place to put this. I thought some of you mechanically aware people might be able to help.

I am not experiencing any mechanical, safety or emissions problems with my car, but because I have "no power to pin 16" it will not pass inspection on the Massachusetts RMV's new computers. The mechanics have crawled all over the car looking for bad fuses, wires, etc, but find nothing wrong. They always ask if the cigarette lighter works, which it does. They tell me that my car is not made with a pin 16, but the RMV insists it does saying cars after 1996 have it....the mechanics say no...and mine is a 1998....any ideas???
    They're referring to the OBDII Diagnostic port, I assume. See here for a bit of information on what exactly they are referring to when they say 'pin 16' - that's the battery power pin in the connector.

Not sure what to tell you about the vehicle - it clearly HAS the port, as the RMV guys are plugging their equipment into it and saying it is not supplying power. All vehicles from 1996 onward should have the port (with the exception of some diesel trucks, I believe) so I'm not sure what your mechanics are trying to say. Maybe you are misunderstanding what they mean, or OBDII was not implemented correctly on that vehicle for the first year? Maybe that pin is just plain broken? I recommend contacting a Dodge dealership to see if they have any literature on the connector for that year. Maybe it's a known issue?