Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who here has MS?

My husband stopped taking his disease-modifier a long time ago. He then tried the chemo drug one, and didn't like it. Then went back on the Avonex after this most recent decline and I noticed it had a really bad effect on him, so we stopped it again. I like his neuro, but we are always the ones bringing new info to him. Well, ok, they did offer him into the Tysabri trials (but he didn't do it).
    He takes Baclofen at night for the spasms, and LDN because it might help and can't hurt. Fish oil, Vit. d, calcium, Vit E.

And he also developed frozen shoulder about 5 or 6 mos ago, so we are trying to work around that as well.
    Rebecca
    Wife and Caregiver, husband has Secondary Progressive MS, wheelchair bound, unable to work, MS still progressing.
    Mother of 2 active boys!

Hi all!

I haven't been on here for a few months. Went to an all MS site because I felt that there was little support for me and felt guilty taking up space with my issues when others had more severe issues. Anyway, I have had MS for 15 years, went from RRMS to SPMS about 6 years ago am in a wheelchair since then. Now experiencing rigid spasticity from the chest down. Am scared being paralyzed and having the spasticity worsen each week.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

Hi all!

I haven't been on here for a few months. Went to an all MS site because I felt that there was little support for me and felt guilty taking up space with my issues when others had more severe issues. Anyway, I have had MS for 15 years, went from RRMS to SPMS about 6 years ago am in a wheelchair since then. Now experiencing rigid spasticity from the chest down. Am scared being paralyzed and having the spasticity worsen each week.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

Hi Snuz. I know what you mean about the rigidity, the fear and the worsening spasticity - we aim to preserve what we have, knowing that inevitably more of the territory will be ceded. It's great that you've returned to the forum. What I've discovered is that SCI, whether traumatic or disease-related, ends up in the same place: disability along a broad spectrum. And this community seems to be more focused on what we all have in common, than the differences in what brought us here. Best wishes to you.

Hi Snuz, I remember talking to you in the past. Glad to see you made your way back here but sorry to hear things are getting worse for you. Do you take anything for the spasticty? David is taking two baclofen tablets a day and so far that seems to help, but there are still days that it is worse than others. Exercise really helps too. He uses a Nustep, standing frame and a motomed.

Hi,

This past year has been really hard. I'm glad to be back too, thanks! Let's keep an MS thread always, it's so nice to have a specific place to talk to MSers, not that I don't enjoy the entire sight, I do.

As far as the rigidity...I hate it! It is so hard to get comfortable! I have to lay "stick straight" on my back or lay on my left side and my right leg lays down behind my left...it strains my low back and makes it ache. I take 20mg of Baclofen 3X a day, 300mg 3X a day of gabapentin the last at about 10:00 and I take 2 Tylenol PM and lay 1 more and a 10mg Baclofen on my bedside table for when I wake up at 4:00 AM every morning! I seem to get more and more rigid and dead feeling up to my chest now. What meds do y'all take for rigidity? Have you tried Tizanidine sp? If so did it work?

Hi Snuz. I don't take any meds for the rigidity and spasticity at this point - I just put up with it, as side effects worry me. But I think it's wonderful that the meds are there and I know that many, many people are helped by them.

It sounds like you might need to make some adjustments in your meds - have you discussed the increasing rigidity and feelings of deadness with your doctor? Maybe a "tweak" to your schedule would help, or a trial on a different med. I don't know anything specific about Tizanidine.

I second the idea of keeping up a lively MS discussion! It's absolutely liberating to be able to talk to others who live with this disease in any capacity.

I was wrong Tizandine is actually what David is taking he takes 1 4mg tablet at 9 a.m. and another at 9 p.m. He also takes Lyrica which is suppossed to help with the nerve pain but I have backed him off of those before because I thought it was causing other problems only to have him become much more rigid. I guess the pain could cause rigity (sp) Anyway the tizanidene seems to help alot. The baclofen constipated him. The wanted to do Botox injections in his left arm due to the tone but we haven't went that far yet. We are just trying to work on it with exercise.

Ms people with sp cath's

i have had ms for 11 yrars and i have sp cath i am in pain.

you?

Susan, why the pain? From the suprapubic cath? Please tell us more. David has had MS since 2005 and also a sp cath, the pain he once had was from nerve pain, he takes Lyrica for that and it has really helped. The cath has been the best thing for him too, now I don't have to worry about him being wet all day while I am at work. He uses a power chair, has since day one practically. Also takes Ampyra which I am a sound believer in. 8 hours after taking his first pill he stood with my assistance just for a bit but it was something he was unable to do for almost 5 years now.