Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hurts when i swallow

hurts when i swallow

yes again sometthing is going wrong.
    since early this morning it really hurts when i swallow
    my throat isn't sore. this is just at the back of my mouth.
    when i try to spit out along with the cough a ball seems to come back but gets pulls back down. and there seems to be something at the back of my mouth.
    i really have to compress my mouth to swallow.

any idea what it could be?

Do you have hardware in your neck? A really freak thing but a guy here had surgery scheduled when his doc reached in and pulled his neck hardware out! It had dislodged.

hey betheny,
    i do have screws n plates at c4/5 thats it.
    i was thinking something could be up my tonsils.
    the top of my throat feels really weird like theres a ball of jelly there

try taking a small dose of a decongestant. I would cough all night long because of a "ball of jelly" (snot) feeling just above the soft palate in the back. Turns out my sinuses are draining and then the material dries out and gets very tenacious and thick at the back of the throat covering the mucous membrane of the throat, leaving you with a very sore throat in the morning. Clears up with the first cup of coffee or water. Drink more water. Change your pillow out every six months or so to get rid of dust.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

If it doesn't clear up, get somebody to look down your throat w/ a flashlight. Bruce's hardware was at c5-6, I think, we have v. similar injuries.

skippy;ya i thought it could be mucus, but when i was coughing it used pull back down as if something was pulling it back down. but later i realized it hurt when i swallowed my spit, more than water and food which were going down easy.

betheny; really? because im just so tired of my injury, something goes wrong every other day literally. harte this shit

Tried to find the link to this incident for you...if you want to know more, pm the moderator Kate. It happened to her husband.

Hi Vaibhavjain,

Remember the thread about those gross tonsil stones from a few months back? Maybe it's one or more of those nasty things.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

My throat hurts sometimes and is a byproduct of the injury. My jaw locks a bit and I have trouble swallowing once in a while. It is due to nerve signals going the wrong places.

Hi,
    I have hardware in my neck C4-7 and I have had difficulty since the surgery 9 months ago with feeling like something is in my throat, sometimes it is very very uncomfortable and other times just a bit, actually has been bothering me alot in the last 2 days. Also when I first had it put in I saw the ENT and my vocal cords were ok etc. and he believed that my esophagus was inflamed due to moving in to the side during surgery and had me take like prevacid and believe it or not it relieved the feeling almost right away. And its not like I had reflux like regurgitating acid or anything. Anyway it took the problem away fairly quiklly although I always have somewhat of an uncomfortable feeling in that area, but not my throat itself, not like it is sore. Also my SCM muscles are always inflamed, which is extremely uncomfortable alot of the time.

However I have had this since day one of the surgery, so I dont know if something is wrong regarding your hardware or something else.