Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cervical Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylady View Post
    When I had my fusion / grafts I was in a coma and dont remember much but all these years later I wonder why My family intervened because I was ready to leave

I have diffeculty with my neck because I sometimes feel like the foreighn stuff in my neck makes me sick at times and I have horrible pain no matter what
    Personally I wouldnt go for another fusion again at this point .

My uncle had his fusion like me and we both regret our surgeries

Pain is pain
    No 2 ways around it it still is a pain in the neck lmao

Sincerely ;
    GL
    gypsy lady,

I was wondering what you meant by the hardware in your neck making you sick?

i had a 2 level fusion in my neck as i could barely walk and at times hold myself up from the cord compression. I also have that feeling that there is always something in my throat, my SCM muscles since the fusion 12/09 are always inflamed. I feel like there is a post nasal drip often times and its like a drowning feeling as I cant get it up (pardon the grossness).

Mine was done in 2006 because of compression on the spinal cord. It was from an old injury, I was unaware my neck had been fractured.

I always have pain in the neck and shoulder areas now that were'nt there before. Having said this, I would still choose the fusion. It was that or loose everything from c-4 down. That made it a no brainer. Permanant damage was done, but at least that stopped the progression.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    Mine was done in 2006 because of compression on the spinal cord. It was from an old injury, I was unaware my neck had been fractured.

I always have pain in the neck and shoulder areas now that were'nt there before. Having said this, I would still choose the fusion. It was that or loose everything from c-4 down. That made it a no brainer. Permanant damage was done, but at least that stopped the progression.
    yes smoky, I agree, i had mine so a) i could hopefully regain motor function in my lges and b) also stop progression I had no choice really. i have all the arm pain, nerve pain, my rt hand doesnt work completey right but the deficit is slight and im in OT for that., PT for rest.

But I was just curious about gypsyladys pain in her throat whether or not it was due to hardwar, as I feel mine is. As i stated about there is always a sensation of something stuck in my throat and SCM muscles irritated all the tme. I wanted to see if she were experiencing that.

I have some trouble with my throat now that I did'nt before they shoved tubes down my throat during the last surgery. My daughter tells me they did a swallow study, but I don't remember having it. Sometimes it's hard to swallow. I know when you're going south on the operating table, they aren't particular how the tubes get down there. I can't say I ever had any problems before that.

Talking neck pain improved after cervical fusion

I had a fusion at C4/5 a couple of years ago because if neck pain and the pain absolutely improved. No problems since then.