Thread: Gap between projects -- how to explain ?

Gap between projects -- how to explain ?

I'm finding myself looking for interviews once again. With the economy being as bad as it's been, I am starting to be asked about what I've been doing since the last full-time project on my resume. I work part-time on projects as an independent software contractor, but am intentionally vague about for whom, since these are my clients and I don't want to say much about them to recruiters & headhunters (they are often hungry for leads).

It's only been about three years since my injury, but mostly now other people cannot tell .. lucky I know. But it's taken more than a year for me to become confident enough to interview again.

Any thoughts on what to say about "gaps in employment" ? I don't really want to say "well I mainly went hiking and climbing" .. and anything related to disability or health issues will probably turn them right off.

Thanks for any tips !

Well of course they cannot ask you about a disability, but as someone who does interviews to hire quite often, I would recommend something like this:

"From XXX/2007-XXX/2008 I was not employed due to the need to take care of some personal health issues. Those are now resolved and I am actively seeking employment."

(KLD)

Sabbatical.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I did a Google search on "interview gaps in employment." There are pages and pages of suggestions about how to deal with the questions about the gaps that appear on your resume regarding your employment history. Take a look at these and maybe you will find some guidance that fits your situation.

All the best and good luck in your job search!!
    GJ

Excellent. Thanks everyone !