Thread: What to do when applying for a job

What to do when applying for a job

I am almost finished with my Associates degree in computer information systems and I have been applying for jobs but my question is when do i let the employer know that i am in a wheelchair?

no, the chair is a non issue, present it as so
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

so dont even mention it when they call to schedule an interview?

Quote Originally Posted by mxracer86 View Post
    so dont even mention it when they call to schedule an interview?
    i never have.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

ok thanks. i figured that i shouldnt because it shouldnt matter but i wanted to see what other people did.

Just do a "Drive by" to see you can get in the building.

One interview I had I was carried up steps by the janitor...I was young & stupid which can be a good thing at times.

Employer hired me but I declined as having the janitor haul my ass every day...well...they insisted they would "fix" their issues. They finally did but I needed a job asap.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

That would be the only time I would mention it. I have done that when I have been called to set up a face to face interview. Sometimes I will go and look at the building, but other times I will ask about accessibility. I obviously had enough that they were looking for to schedule an on site interview...so my thoughts are there should be no harm. In fact, with this approach you do not throw them off guard when you show up and they are not expecting the chair.

Just remember...you are qualified for the position. If you let that be evident by how you present yourself and how you answer the questions, then you should be fine.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    That would be the only time I would mention it. I have done that when I have been called to set up a face to face interview. Sometimes I will go and look at the building, but other times I will ask about accessibility. I obviously had enough that they were looking for to schedule an on site interview...so my thoughts are there should be no harm. In fact, with this approach you do not throw them off guard when you show up and they are not expecting the chair.

Just remember...you are qualified for the position. If you let that be evident by how you present yourself and how you answer the questions, then you should be fine.
    thats true, sometimes they are caught way off guard and don't really pay attendtion to the interview
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

ya check out the building first.