Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Job denial

Its interesting to hear stories like this...all the companies I've worked for have been more than helpful. They were like so tell me everything you need to make you feel comfortable and we will make it happen. I didn't require anything but still I found all employers overly nice about the disability rather than negative towards it so thats pretty shitty that lady was so weird.

What type of position was this for?
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 09-09-2010 at 01:50 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

low level in bound call center to answer phone calls for Hyatt hotels to book reservations. I would also answer any questions they have about things.

When i came in the place both times i did not see or feel happiness from its employess. The vibe there was bad....The bathroom was almost pitch black. It had 4-5 floresent lights up with 2 bulbs in each one but all were burned out but one bulb and it was on the fritz. It was way creepy.

And no, the application process did not involve any questions about my health in any way.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Suzie...check out what was on Yahoo's front page today

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...wed-to-ask-you

File a complaint

You need to contact the EEOC and file a complaint. Here's how:

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm

Wrote the EEOC an email today to contact them about filing a report.

On a separate note i believe businesses do this more than we think. I know my last job discriminated against the disabled and sick. The reason....insurance premium costs.

When you went into such great detail about your medical history, you opened an ugly door. As a business decision (all things being equal), hiring a person with a complicated medical history involving the brain is more expensive (initially anyway) than hiring an ab. It sounds as though you gave her far too many details.

Yes, she asked why you had a lapse in your emnployment history. No, you don't want to lie, but when you begin discussing in detail problems with your brain, that's huge to potential employers. An alternate, truthful explanation to your employer could be, "I had a health issue. It was addressed and I'm more than ready, willing and able to return to work. Here is how I'd be an asset to your organization."

File the complaint. Under the circumstances, you may or may not have recourse. You stated in specific the problems you had and have.

You want a good work environment, but don't make the mistake that employers and potential employers are interested in your medical woes for humanitarian reasons. Even sympathetic ones may pass you in favor of a person without the same issues.

Employers want to know you can and will do the work. Leave any medical issues, especially the specifics, out of the workplace. That's the beginning and the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    When you went into such great detail about your medical history, you opened an ugly door. As a business decision (all things being equal), hiring a person with a complicated medical history involving the brain is more expensive (initially anyway) than hiring an ab. It sounds as though you gave her far too many details.

Yes, she asked why you had a lapse in your emnployment history. No, you don't want to lie, but when you begin discussing in detail problems with your brain, that's huge to potential employers. An alternate, truthful explanation to your employer could be, "I had a health issue. It was addressed and I'm more than ready, willing and able to return to work. Here is how I'd be an asset to your organization."

File the complaint. Under the circumstances, you may or may not have recourse. You stated in specific the problems you had and have.

You want a good work environment, but don't make the mistake that employers and potential employers are interested in your medical woes for humanitarian reasons. Even sympathetic ones may pass you in favor of a person without the same issues.

Employers want to know you can and will do the work. Leave any medical issues, especially the specifics, out of the workplace. That's the beginning and the end of it.
    She asked me first why the year lasp in time. When i told her illness she was not happy with that and asked me to elaborate. The way she was talking i figured she had talked to my last employer and they probably said something to her about me. Who knows....hind sight is always 20/20.

In this nitty gritty work demographic we have to compete in now most employers will pick the young cream of the crop every time. Their are so many people to chose from because so many around here are off work.

And i did not go into detail about every problem i have. I am not that ignorant. I kept things to a bare minimum and she still freeked out.