Thread: Turning mattress?

Turning mattress?

Does anyone use a turning mattress? I'm a C5/6 quadriplegic with one closed pressure sore on my bottom and an open sore on my back. Using a turning mattress has been suggested since I don't have anyone to turn me at night. I might be able to get my insurance to rent one for me, but it might be an uphill battle. I don't know how these really work and cannot find any video demos about how they work.

Any input, pictures, videos, reviews, comments, or advice?

There are a number of manufacturers of low air loss turning mattress systems, as well as beds. KCI makes a full bed system, which requires that you purchase the frame with the mattress included. Replacement turning LAL mattress systems fit on an existing bed frame, and turn you by inflating air cells on one side of the bed and partially deflating them on the other. I wasn't able to find any videos on-line, but the good manufacturers often have a video or CD they can send you, or have a rep call on you.

I have had good success with either the Invacare Turn-Q or the Joerns/Triline TurnCair. The Span America Turn Select will turn you but is not low air loss so probably not as good if you need the pressure reduction to heal your pressure ulcer. Their Easy Air LR might work OK, but I have not used or issued this mattress in my practice. I am also not a fan of the Volkner's turning mattress as it is not LAL nor sufficiently pressure reducing.

(KLD)

updated turning mattress recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There are a number of manufacturers of low air loss turning mattress systems, as well as beds. KCI makes a full bed system, which requires that you purchase the frame with the mattress included. Replacement turning LAL mattress systems fit on an existing bed frame, and turn you by inflating air cells on one side of the bed and partially deflating them on the other. I wasn't able to find any videos on-line, but the good manufacturers often have a video or CD they can send you, or have a rep call on you.

I have had good success with either the Invacare Turn-Q or the Joerns/Triline TurnCair. The Span America Turn Select will turn you but is not low air loss so probably not as good if you need the pressure reduction to heal your pressure ulcer. Their Easy Air LR might work OK, but I have not used or issued this mattress in my practice. I am also not a fan of the Volkner's turning mattress as it is not LAL nor sufficiently pressure reducing.

(KLD)
    SCI Nurse:
    Do you have any updated recommendations for a turning mattress?