Thread: Has anyone tried a mattress like this?

Has anyone tried a mattress like this?

http://www.blakemedical.ca/products-geomattress.php

I've been using a foam mattress until now, but I'd like to upgrade as my shoulders get sore overnight. Has anyone had experience with these gel-type mattresses? Thanks!

What kind of foam? High density? Low density? Viscoelastic? Do you turn?

I have not used this specific gel mattress, but have experience with the RIK gel mattress made by Roho. Extremely heavy (so difficult to move around), and patients complained that it "sucked the heat out of their bodies" much like an unheated waterbed mattress. We did some of our own computerized interface pressure measurements compared to a LAL mattress and found the pressures much higher on the gel mattress. I have also seen SCI patients come to us with pressure ulcers that they got in other hospitals where they used the RIK a lot.

(KLD)

I love my memory foam matress but... I get cold so easy... some people say these make them hot at night so... mileage may vary. Generally, I do not like gel anything. Feels bad to me, doesn't work. But that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What kind of foam? High density? Low density? Viscoelastic? Do you turn?

I have not used this specific gel mattress, but have experience with the RIK gel mattress made by Roho. Extremely heavy (so difficult to move around), and patients complained that it "sucked the heat out of their bodies" much like an unheated waterbed mattress. We did some of our own computerized interface pressure measurements compared to a LAL mattress and found the pressures much higher on the gel mattress. I have also seen SCI patients come to us with pressure ulcers that they got in other hospitals where they used the RIK a lot.

(KLD)
    My current mattress must be obsolete (or strictly Canadian) as even google won't bring it up. It's similar to tempur foam. I don't turn, no.

I'm going to trial this gel one for a week and see how it goes.

What is an LAL mattress?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    What is an LAL mattress?
    LAL = low air loss. Low air loss mattresses combine significant pressure reduction with slight air flow over the skin to decrease moisture (which can add to skin breakdown) from sweat, urine, or feces.

(KLD)