Thread: Sustainable Building Materials

Quote Originally Posted by dstrompf View Post
    There are many discussions now days about building green, after all the drastic climate changes it is time to figure out the fait of the plants future. Record breaking summer highs and winter lows is all we need to calculate the futures natural disasters. It is time to build a more sustainable type of building. Building with steel is one way to start although building with steel may seem like it will not be esthetically pleasing, with todays technology a steel building can be the main support and roof of the building leaving the option to put up any type of sheeting. I am not sure what the most environmentally friendly sheeting is, any thoughts?
    i personally built my home in steel metal building as cost were a factor outside not great inside wow but i had it for my horshoe arena

i think you could do a lot i wish they do the wind and solar cheaper

The OP must have bailed out for whatever reason. What comes to my mind for sheathing is gypsum--it's highly fire resistant and can be recycled. Although some "Greenies" will argue that steel isn't sustainable because of the high embodied energy to manufacture it. One thing is for certain--the upfront costs of sustainable building are significantly higher, but for the long haul it's worth it in lower energy consumption and maintenance costs.

The OP was a spammer, and the message was removed. Please don't respond to spam posts. I would recommend removing this entire thread unless someone really feels the need to keep it.

(KLD)

It seemed like a legitimate question to me. Are sustainable building discussions not allowed?

The OP had included prohibited commercial links in their signature. That is consider spam. This is why it was removed and the OP banned. If you (as a legitimate member) want to have a thread about this topic, go for it.

(KLD)

I've been researching sustainable building materials for years. I think the most environmentally friendly method is "rammed earth." Huge R-Value, Sound proof, insect proof, fire proof, passive solar insulator, thermal mass and many times the material can be found right on the jobsite. Add a little Portland Cement and 10-12% water and tamp it down or it can be shot also (like a pool). Awesome results, often walls are up to 24" thick. This method can be used virtually anywhere, it just has to have proper drainage for the location as it can't take direct rain over a long period of time so needs roofs and proper eave overhang.

My second favorite is Pumice-crete which is a light weight concrete product which is formed and poured similar to concrete with a min. 9" wall.

The benefit to these types of materials is that once the walls are in place, other than a brown and color coat of stucco on the pumice-crete, no other finish is necessary such as sheet rock, insulation, paint, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The OP had included prohibited commercial links in their signature. That is consider spam. This is why it was removed and the OP banned. If you (as a legitimate member) want to have a thread about this topic, go for it.

(KLD)
    KLD, Sorry, I didn't notice the link.