Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate almost everybody and everything about this f'ed up sci life

We're an anomaly, at least those with complete injuries. We're supposed to be dead, evolutionarily speaking. The human body isn't designed to survive a complete spinal cord injury. We are traversing new territory never before explored.

We are an experiment in modern medicine...and none of us volunteered. I don't feel any ill will for those who would rather have died, that is what would have happened in decades past. In the millions of years of our evolution, only in the past few decades has the possibility to stay alive been viable. Is that a good thing?

The only way to beat back the doldrums is to stay busy, and try to be creative. Volunteering also helps. And even these will fail you at times.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Chappell View Post
    Agreed with Curt, "passion about something".

The way I've learned to process the shit that sci brings is to realize:

1. Every day I have a choice; Get up and get moving or not.

2. Being alive after these catastrophic injuries is a blessing. It's hidden and you have to dig like hell to find it but when you do, you'll find a purpose (family, career, hobbies, etc.) for dealing with all the day to day horrors that we face. Focus on the productive it mitigates the frustration.

3. We don't have a monopoly on pain or misery. Simply turn on the news.

4. We're better prepared to cope with other's suffering. Share those coping skills, they're invaluable.

5. Change is the only constant in life. Better to embrace it than fight it. Besides, there might be something good tomorrow.

Peace, onward and upward.

Chris
    Pretty well-rounded advice there Chris. I hold to the old faded notion that things will get better and try and fulfill that.

And - in the spirit of the the thread - I heartily raise a full glass to the end of f'ed up sci life. The return of Seattle gloomy weather after a mediocre summer puts a drain on the spirits too, hang in there cass.

I hope you don't mind rdf. Your post was so eloquent and resonated with me the same thoughts I've had for a long time. I've quoted you on Facebook - hope that's okay!

Very good points, rdf!
    -Richard

RDF ~ agreed 100% brother. Thank you.

We are unnatural, exceptions to Darwin's rule. All the more reason to live and thrive among the able-bodied like a SCI.... The way I see it, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, is that every day that I'm fortunate enough to wake up and get around, at least I ought to try and do something ..

Like you and many however I don't begrudge any of our SCI brother's and sister's from checking out early but I am sad. Everybody has something to offer...you just have to keep looking..once you find it, that one thing, it will help sustain you, one day at a time.

Onward and upward,

Chris

Love your profile pic Lynnifer
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    We're an anomaly, at least those with complete injuries. We're supposed to be dead, evolutionarily speaking. The human body isn't designed to survive a complete spinal cord injury. We are traversing new territory never before explored.

We are an experiment in modern medicine...and none of us volunteered. I don't feel any ill will for those who would rather have died, that is what would have happened in decades past. In the millions of years of our evolution, only in the past few decades has the possibility to stay alive been viable. Is that a good thing?

The only way to beat back the doldrums is to stay busy, and try to be creative. Volunteering also helps. And even these will fail you at times.
    Bravo! I concur with everything.

I told the doctor when I first was hurt if I was going to walk again and when he said no I said dont bother doing the surgery but they did it anyway. I tell people that if I didnt have my two girls I would have ended it a long time ago. I know others are worse off then me with higher injuries but it is still SCI and all of it suxs ass...
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Dark angels follow me.

I do my best and when I run out of will I will end it. pain 24x7 best days 7 usually 8-9 10 all too often.

Would have died, wish I had. 2 runs ins with suicide 3rd will be final, as I get older it gets worse and I'm starting to not care at all any more. My temperament deteriorates with my downslide and my best friends are giving up.

SCI the gift that keeps on taking
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    the pain, leading to loss of job of many yrs, the teenage son stress by myself, the paternal gp's wanting him out of state at tday, leaving me absolutely alone, etc etc are def doing me in. 4 yrs ago, woulda been manageable...they fin don't get it. haven't even been here in 5 yrs. but...all my fault, course. i put too much on him. fin kid doesn't even empty garbage. gimme break.
    Cass, I'm sorry you haven't heard from me since we spoke, but I've been thinking about what's on your plate. Unfortunately, the way you describe what's going on in your life, I have no silver bullet suggestions for you, but we both knew that ahead of time. I was just glad to hear your voice again, it's been too long. It's not going to help much, but I love you and am thinking about you.

ßoß