Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu Season 2010-2011

Flu Season 2010-2011

It will soon be flu season in the northern hemisphere. Time to think about where YOU are going to be getting your seasonal flu shot (vaccine is available now and you should get your flu shot ASAP this year).

This year the seasonal flu vaccine in the USA is combined with the H1N1 vaccine, so you only need the one injection.

Remember that pulmonary infections and respiratory failure remain the #1 cause of death long-term in SCI, and it is very easy for the flu to turn into pneumonia or ARDS for someone with a SCI. Every year, 40,000 people in the USA die from seasonal flu. While the flu shot is not a 100% guarantee you will not get the flu, if you do, and were immunized, it will be less severe.

From the CDC, these are the people who should be top priority for getting flu immunization every year:

1. Patients at risk of complications:
    Persons 65 years or older
    Residents of nursing homes
    Patients with chronic heart or lung conditions, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and heart failure
    Patients with certain chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, kidney problems, cancer, chemotherapy, long-term steroid treatment, sickle-cell disease or HIV infection
    Women who will be pregnant during flu season
    Children receiving chronic aspirin therapy
    2. Healthy children 6 to 23 months of age

3. Individuals with neuro-muscular conditions (such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, spinal cord injuries, or muscular dystrophies).

4. Household contacts of high-risk patients (including contacts of children 0 to 23 months of age) (this includes your family members, close friends, and PCAs).

5. Health care workers involved in direct patient care.

Time now to call your physician and make an appointment for your seasonal flu shot, or get it at a local flu shot clinic or drug store.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...ds/vis-flu.pdf

(KLD)

thank you for the thoughtful heads up, KLD! i will be calling my PCP as soon as i can

lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

difference with latitude?

Does the best time to get a shot vary with latitude? I live in Las Vegas. We are in the middle of a cold snap right now -- high temperature today was 98. We usually get the flu shot in November. Should that date be moved up?? I'm an incomplete quad (C4-T1), 76 years old.

Peak flu season in the Northern hemisphere is October-March. It takes 2-3 weeks for the shot to be fully effective, so people throughout North America should be getting theirs in September and October, ideally. The weather has little or no bearing on flu season.

(KLD)

I also live in Las Vegas, and I currently have the flu. Got it from my Kindergartener, he got it the 1st week of school. We got the flu last year Aug 15th. Get your shot as soon as it is available, don't wait! The flu this year seems much worse than last year!

One thought, I read that the vaccine is for 2009 H1N1, but we've had the flu twice. I'm wondering if there is a new strain circulating? It's bad. The first flu made us very tired for 1 day, but otherwise were fine. This year we've had everything rolled into one, throwing up, fever, headache, stuffy / runny nose, coughing, sore throat, severe fatigue lasting 2 days, the whole thing lasting about 7 days. We are otherwise very healthy people.

I have had a broken back at L2 but am fully functional, with pain.

my PCP doesn't have the shot yet.... i have an appt for oct26th to get mine.

lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

not trying to detract from others wanting the shot..
    I've never had it, but I do find that over the years I have gotten the flu After someone else had the shot..mostly mild.

I very much dislike it when a co-worker gets a shot, then next thing you know we have multiple people in the office come down with something.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It will soon be flu season in the northern hemisphere. Time to think about where YOU are going to be getting your seasonal flu shot (vaccine is available now and you should get your flu shot ASAP this year).

This year the seasonal flu vaccine in the USA is combined with the H1N1 vaccine, so you only need the one injection.

Remember that pulmonary infections and respiratory failure remain the #1 cause of death long-term in SCI, and it is very easy for the flu to turn into pneumonia or ARDS for someone with a SCI. Every year, 40,000 people in the USA die from seasonal flu. While the flu shot is not a 100% guarantee you will not get the flu, if you do, and were immunized, it will be less severe.

From the CDC, these are the people who should be top priority for getting flu immunization every year:

1. Patients at risk of complications:
    Persons 65 years or older
    Residents of nursing homes
    Patients with chronic heart or lung conditions, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and heart failure
    Patients with certain chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, kidney problems, cancer, chemotherapy, long-term steroid treatment, sickle-cell disease or HIV infection
    Women who will be pregnant during flu season
    Children receiving chronic aspirin therapy
    2. Healthy children 6 to 23 months of age

3. Individuals with neuro-muscular conditions (such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, spinal cord injuries, or muscular dystrophies).

4. Household contacts of high-risk patients (including contacts of children 0 to 23 months of age) (this includes your family members, close friends, and PCAs).

5. Health care workers involved in direct patient care.

Time now to call your physician and make an appointment for your seasonal flu shot, or get it at a local flu shot clinic or drug store.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...ds/vis-flu.pdf

(KLD)
    Sci Nurse:
    My daughter is a SCI and has had this flu for 2 wks. Fever broke 2 days ago, and no longer vomiting and diarhea. When can I start using the colace again to keep her from getting constipated with all the Imodium she was being given? Please post to forum. I think this info will help us new attendants. According to our doctor he said there is no vacine that will give you immunity from flu virus. I did go and get vacinated when she started to get a fever (3 days later fever started), b/c I had heard it's harder on 50 yr. old+ people to get over this virus.
    Aggie Mom 2007

Flu shots

Hello everyone I was wondering what members Flu shot status were.
    Is it safe w/sci?
    Are there any major sickness\side effects to worry about?
    Have u got a flu shot why or why not?

I plan to get my flu shot soon, so i just wanted to know what everyone else was considering thx.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Blog Entries
    It should be mandatory. The VA tries to insure that all SCI patients get a flu shot due to a perceived or real increased susceptibility in SCI patients.

I always get one, and haven't had a cold or the flu since I've been crippled - 17+ years.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury