Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello..

hi everyone. dr young....the injection was into my back. seriously jammed into my back. i seen another neuro yesterday and i had an MRI.....wahtever it means in english, i dont know...it was LUMBAR and DORSAL. there was a lesion in teh d3 area. they are requesting that i go inpatient to recieve somethig called corticoide (sp) on monday. there seems to be no rush, but hten in peru, if you have no money to pay, they will let you die...wonderful third world. i have the money to do it, however they wont let me in there until monday. i am almost hoping for a weekend recovery although that dosent seem likely. another diagnosis was called mielitis transversa..again, no idea....this was given by the dr who put me on the list for monday to recieve this corticoide treatment.

i have been with dr N since the referral from G although only using his aggressive physical therapist group. he only works a few hours a week, and i needed more immediate answers, so i continue with my neuro. lazar treatment and range of motion down with me for an hour, and then my husband continues at home in the middle of the night. he shifts me and watches for my feet to not fall out to the side. why is that? he also wakes me up to cath every 6 hours and does the therapy in the interium. any other thoughts here??? know what this means in english??? i find it in spanish and i cant read it.....

thanks

OP = original poster. Widely used abbreviation throughout the entire internet.

mielitis transversa = transverse myelitis. Here is some more information on this spinal cord disease:

http://transversemyelitis.net/index.php

http://www.myelitis.org/index.html

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/t...semyelitis.htm

corticoide sounds like a steroid, which would be appropriate for an autoimmune disease or acute spinal cord damage, but has little or no benefit for a chronic traumatic injury.

You should be cathing every 4-6 hours, and really need to learn to do this yourself. Many thousands of women with SCI around the world learn how to do this. It is not that difficult...if you can put in a tampon, you can do a cath. No one WANTS to do intermittent cath, but it is necessary, and at your level, should not be something your husband should be doing for you. The same goes for bowel care, turning yourself, checking your skin (with mirrors), and other aspects of your disability management.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-10-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks SCI nurse for the definition of "OP". I don't participate in other forums and this is the first time I have seen it here.

Springroll,
    I'm very glad you continue to get treatment, and hope that you get some relief with Monday's injection. Hopefully, you can discuss learning bowel and bladder management with Dr. Nakazato or his therapy staff. He should be able to direct you to an occupational or physical therapist who can coach you in the techniques and set you up with the appropriate supplies. Try to have a restful weekend. Take care.

All the best,
    GJ

ummm, Dr wise, I had problems in late pregnancy with emptying my bladder. I had gotten a broken tail bone and pelvic hairline fractures when I was 12. pregnant at age 20. the second was not to term, third I lost bladder control between 6-8 months and did not regain until 1-3 months post for both full term pregnancies. I used a Foley. the accident then caused two more fractures to the pelvis, and coccyx, and l5s1 incomplete cord injury.
    My first fractures were caused by being kicked in the butt with steel toed boots, second from landing on pavement after being airborne, However my pregnancy bladder problems I figured were caused by the coccyx and pelvic fractures, but orthopedic says birth defect or the L5s1.

To springroll, Cathing is no big deal if that is how you are needing to pee. I always do before sex, and usually that prevents peeing myself. I am not sure why your husband woud need to help with cathing and bowel program. once you learn how, its a one person job, and there is nothing at all to be afraid of. do you think you may have a urinary tract infection? that is always possible with having to cath, and makes the urgent feeling. no matter the reason for needing to cath, I think it would be better, if you learned to do that for yourself. what if he needs to be somewhere else? or you have to go somewhere without him? even people with limited hand use can do their own bathroom needs by themselves, so I hope that you make extra effort to learn how to care properly for your yourself, so that you can get on to being a busy mom.
    I hope that your situation improves, and welcome to care cure.
    Last edited by jody; 09-10-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Kld mentioned that if you can put in a tampon you can cath yourself. true.
    if you put in a tampon, while learning to cath, you know the catheter does not go there, so makes it easier to find the right place. you must go above where the tampon is, though below the good spot. wash hands well before you touch your clean catheters. wipe your area from front to back with a diaper wipe, and if you can do it on the toilet.

what is the ONDA F?? or F wave??

why did both of my EMGs come back with these as non reactive? im not asking to interpret but i just dont understand....waht does this mean? the ones in my arm were fine, but both of my legs, nothing....what role dcould this play in my paralysis??

It means the signal is not getting where it needs to be. Think of it as a communication problem. The octor puts all the information of your tests together to come up with a diagnosis or cause of your problem.
    CWO