View Poll Results: Would you donate idle computer time to raise money for either CC or the cure?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No thanks.

2 11.11%
  • Yes! I would love to donate my idle cycles to support CareCure!

11 61.11%
  • Yes! I would love to donate my idle cycles to support the cure!

13 72.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passively raising money for the cure: Would you be interested?

Question Passively raising money for the cure: Would you be interested?

Looking for feedback.

I ran across Plura Processing today (via 80legs) and it... well, let's let them explain their two programs:

Source:
    Introduction

Plura Processing gives charities and non-profits the ability to raise money easily. Charities can encourage people to go a Plura-sponsored webpage, embed Plura with a charity-branded application, or download the Plura desktop application (available to registered affiliates). Through each method, non-profit members and donors can convert unused CPU cycles into donations for your charity.

Superdonate is a charityware application that uses Plura to drive donations to CARE, charity: water and the Nature Conservancy.

What does Plura get in return?

A lot of information technology problems today require a lot of computing power. Most of that computing is done in enormous data centers. Typical data infrastructure is very expensive and inefficient.

Plura has developed a way to make much of that unnecessary. Instead of using a huge data center, we split up the computing power among all the computers connected to our network. These computers access our network through Plura-embedded websites and applications. By going to these pages or running these applications, you're sharing the unused power of your computer to help solve these challenging problems.

Sharing saves the environment

Very large data centers are being built every day for corporate computing needs. Not only are these data centers expensive and inefficient, but they’re also a significant source of energy waste and pollution. The New York Times reported in May 2008 that “data centers will surpass the airline industry as a greenhouse gas polluter by 2020.”

Our solution is based on sharing. It’s like car pooling to save our resources. Right now, we all have excess computing power on our PCs that we never use. If we share our unused power, we can magnify the usefulness of our computers.

How much money can I raise?

Plura Processing pays affilaites up to $2.60 per full month of computing time provided. "Full month of computing time" is equaivalent to a single CPU providing compute time for an entire month at 100% utilization.

Payments depend on compute demand from our customers. As such, payments to affiliates can very from month to month. (Source)
    Source:
    Introduction

Plura Processing’s distributed computing model provides an entirely new way of turning traffic into revenue. By inserting one line of HTML code into your website’s code, you can monetize every visitor to your site.

To see an example of a Plura-sponsored webpage, click here.

That HTML code will link to a secure applet that’s used to perform very lightweight pieces of calculations. Each visitor to your site helps us with those pieces and we pay you for those small calculations. To learn more about our technology, click here.

A New Way to Monetize Visitors

Plura Processing creates an entirely new way to monetize visitors and users of your content. Instead of relying solely on ads, subscriptions, or microtransactions (all of which require direct action), you can now create a constant revenue stream each time a user connects to you. Best of all, we give you complete control over how Plura is run through your content. You can control how often Plura is run, how much of the CPU it uses, and so on. Our affiliates determine the best way to integrate Plura with their content.

Help Solve Important Problems

Our customers use Plura for a variety of commercial and research-oriented applications. These applications use the computing power affiliates provide to solve important and challenging problems, such as eliminating stock market inefficiency, finding Mersenne primes, and protein modeling. Our affiliates provide an important service by helping reduce the cost and time it takes to solve these problems.

An Enabling Technology

Because Plura’s payments to a website operator are based on visitors, our technology gives websites much more freedom in terms of design, structure, and purpose. If your website does not lend itself to ad placement, if you’d like to remove or reduce the cost of subscriptions, or if you are looking for a new way to generate revenue through your site, then Plura is the solution for you!

Pricing

Plura Processing pays affiliates up to $2.60 per full month of computing time provided. "Full month of computing time" is equivalent to a single CPU providing compute time for an entire month at 100% utilization.

Payments are dependent on compute demand from our customers. As such, payments to affiliates can vary from month to month. (Source)
    If there's enough interest, we could set this up (opt-in) to raise money for Just a Dollar and/or CareCure.

Would you be interested? $2.60/month's not much, admittedly, but if you combine the 200-300 users CC always seems to have, it could raise a few grand per year.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Steven
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 09-09-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I'm really not web site savvy but sounds like a good idea as long as it is straight forward enough asraising money through the sale of the bracelets and sending a check appears easier for me at the minute but i am eager to learn and if there is a more cost effective way why not?

Like SETI do.

You know Steven, i'm up to everything and i own 5 constantly working computers lol. Maybe you should create a poll about this to make the decision.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Great suggestion, 0x! I added a poll.

Votes are private, so vote honestly.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

I don't understand why this raises money for anything. Explain it to me, Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    I don't understand why this raises money for anything. Explain it to me, Steven.
    Why or how?

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Company A needs to process huge amount of data so hires computing Company B.
    Company B chops the info into small pieces and make each piece to go and get processed into different computers around the globe for a small amount of money. Then Company B get the processed pieces back and put them together again for the Company A
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    Company A needs to process huge amount of data so hires computing Company B.
    Company B chops the info into small pieces and make each piece to go and get processed into different computers around the globe for a small amount of money. Then Company B get the processed pieces back and put them together again for the Company A
    Got you. Almost like using your PC the way a torrent is passed around.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Why or how?
    You ass! I wanted to know why this raises money at all. I didn't understand the reason this would cause any company to give money to a cause. I was thinking to myself, okay, what's the catch or the incentive? A company wouldn't be giving money for nothing.

Im assuming there is no risk ?