Thread: suppository long term

suppository long term

in the hospital after my accident they used suppositories all the time, they never ever bothered to teach us about stim methood. I heard about it much later and even now I still don't know what to do. Do you stim and wait, or stim for 5 or 10min continueasly? Is there any other tips?

Whats the long term side effects of using a daily supp to your bowels?

I'm T12 complete one year post, and doctors told me there was nothing bad with using suppositories for ever.
    I just use one every other day, wait 15 minutes and go to the bathroom and wait until i think i'm done. Usually i don't have any problem, done in 20-40.

The ones that i sued are called Dulco-Laxo (it may be diff. in english).
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

dulco laxo is the spaniard version ( i am from spain, lol ) for dulcolax here in the US. you can also buy the generic form, bisacodyl suppositories; they all work the same.

lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

yeah the Ducolax ones. So no long term effects like my bowels falling out of me or something crazy LOL..

I use a little bit different supps, the Ducolax ones you get at Walmart are oil based and the ones I get made up for me are water based sups so the work a lot faster than oil. fun facts yeaaaa

Dulcolax supp everyday or every other day is a standard routine CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Dulcolax supp everyday or every other day is a standard routine CWO
    What's CWO?
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

I thought most low level paras do dig stim only and don't use suppositories. Maybe you could ween yourself off the sups and do dig stim.

I have been using suppositories for the past 25 years or so. Most convenient way to clear the bowels.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    What's CWO?
    There are four (4) SCI-Nurses. We each use the same persona on-line, but initial our responses to identify which of us is answering.

KLD (me)
    and
    CWO
    CKF
    AAD

As stated here many times before, the reason to use a suppository, and the reason to do digital stimulation (dig stim, dillie) are different.

A suppository increases peristalsis and moves stool from the descending and sigmoid colon into the rectal vault to prepare for evacuation. Not everyone needs to use a suppository, but most do.

Digital stimulation may somewhat increase peristalsis also, but it is primarily to fatigue and relax the spastic anal sphincter seen in those with an upper motor neuron bowel.

If you have a lower motor neuron bowel (flaccid anal sphincter), then digital stimulation should not be used, and in fact may cause your already flaccid anal sphincter to be overstretched, causing more accidents. Many people with LMN bowels just strain to evacuate, but many also need to manually remove stool with a gloved finger. That is not the same as digital stimulation.

Most people have a flaccid sphincter during spinal shock, but if a BC reflex returns, then you have an UMN bowel, and digital stim may help you to better and more quickly evacuate.

(KLD)