Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many people employ live-in aides

That's a huge deduction to miss out on. On Canadian taxes that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    That's a huge deduction to miss out on. On Canadian taxes that is.
    They cap the amount you're allowed to claim though, right?

It's not capped here in the States. We pay "over the table" and deduct on taxes. In the years that we actually employ someone

Getting the help when you need it!

I am young and I am the primary caregiver for my quadriplegic grandmother. She is the one who raised me. I am her main caregiver and it is my honor to help her, because she was the only one that helped me when I was little.
    Yet, I still decided I needed some time off. I did not have time to look for some help even, but I found a website that had Senior caregivers on it called
    www.callseniorcare.com and I found someone right away to help me have a day off. If you are in a similar situation as I am, give yourself a break! You deserve it.

We have had a live in (though now out) aid since we got out of rehab. In short we pay almost $14 an hour + factor in rent/utilities/etc. Specific hours on the clock with a split shift. 5am-10am and then again 1-4pm. We have a payroll company do all the taxes and paper work(well worth the expense IMO) and have done everything above board for fear of legal issues if anything were to go wrong. I'm all for saving money, but the thought of someone getting pissed and reporting us for paying under the table keeps me doing it the right way.

With all that said, the personal issues having a live in causes would make me not choose this option again. Their personal life becomes entangled with your family. Questions like who gets to use the kitchen and table at dinner time comes up. What if you don't like their boy/girl friend? Gay? Straight? Does it matter....well, you'll get to find out. Who gets to watch TV when they want?? What about computer time??

Sure, all of it is workable, but do you want to add that drama on top of SCI??? For us it has been a roller coaster of epic proportions!

Just things to think about.

For me, live in caregivers are turning into a priority... I live with my parents & currently have no prospects when it comes to someone else to live with.
    Seems like my only chance to live "alone" would be with sometype of live in assistance.

wchair: before my husband met me, he lived on his own as a C4/5 complete quad with live in caregivers, with his family providing weekend relief for the caregiver. It was much better than living at home for him as it gave him much needed independence. Since we met and got married, the dynamics of having a caregiver (live in or not) change alot. But in your situation, a live in would be a good move it sounds like. My advice is to be SURE you have several backup sources of help as aides, no matter how wonderful they seem, will at one point or another leave you high and dry. Or wet as the case may be. ;-)

wchair if you have a two-bedroom apartment available, you can come up with some creative solutions to accessing aid. Room and board & access to the Internet are two things we take for granted, but for a student or someone on limited income these are valuable commodities. I'm too lazy to do the math, but if it's only a transfer at night and in the morning, you may have the solution to your problem.

edit: I responded before reading the entire thread. I noticed we already spoke about students
    Last edited by Van Quad; 10-18-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Pointing out the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    wchair if you have a two-bedroom apartment available, you can come up with some creative solutions to accessing aid. Room and board & access to the Internet are two things we take for granted, but for a student or someone on limited income these are valuable commodities. I'm too lazy to do the math, but if it's only a transfer at night and in the morning, you may have the solution to your problem.

edit: I responded before reading the entire thread. I noticed we already spoke about students

the studentsseem like a good & obvious solution,, but what do you do when a good live in goes bad, I currently employmultiple nursing students as non-live in help & inevitably someone I think is wonderful goes wrong. I've currently got 1... up until September she was the best aide I've ever had... in approximately one month she's gone from that to the point where I'm very close to firing her,and I can because Ihave other aides. If this were a live in scenario, seems like I would very well be stuck with her.

Just as with any PCA, if they are not doing the job, or in violation of their contract, you let them go and replace them.

Providing their room and board is contingent upon them having the job. If you must let them go, they are also evicited. Don't see any reason you need to do otherwise, and you are no more tied to them as a roommate then you would be any other PCA. Of course this needs to be included in their contract.

(KLD)