Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many people employ live-in aides

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    $12/hour with rent being equal to the first $400 in wages.
    huh? (i'm math deprieved)
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

We pay $12/hour, so if the attendant works 60 hours a month, they get compensated $12 * 60 = $720, but we only give them $320 in cash and we keep back $400 as rent.

Thanks!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Is that 12/hr for 8 hr/day or are they literally on call 24/7, in which case it's not an hourly wage?

If they have to respond, they are working. Are they in the house? Can they leave?

Oh definitely not 24/7 on call. In our situation, I am here all the time, with only brief forays here and there for errands. We negotiate specific hours for our PCA, even when they live-in, and the rest of the time they are off duty. So I never say, just because they are walking through the kitchen, "hey, could you cath Chad?". Typical hours would be 10-3 pm M, W, Friday. Outside of those very specific hours (or whatever they are), we do not ask the PCA to work at all. We just use rent as a way to lower our costs out of pocket (since we get no aid financially for his care), and to benefit the caregiver with low cost in a very nice home with alot of nice amenities. When its a good person, its a good deal all around. When its not a good person ...... it really really sucks. I've thrown out at least 4 live-ins because well, it sucks to have a live in person.

We pay my mother's live-in attendant a monthly (not hourly) wage, into which we have already calculated the value of her "rent", utilities, and other expenses that she gets as a live in. She does have specific hours that she is on-duty, and the rest of the time she is free to use her time as she wishes.

For example, on week days she is on duty and providing care from 0800-1000, and then is free until 1230-2PM. She may occasionally be needed to drive my mother for doctor's appointments during those free times. We do not pay extra for that. She goes to another job from 2PM-1030PM Mon-Friday, then is on duty from 1030-1130PM to put my mother to bed. She always sleeps at the house, rarely needed, but technically "on call". On Saturday and Sunday she has days off except for the 1030PM time, and can stay at the house or go out as she pleases. We have part time PCAs at the other times.

(KLD)

KLD ..Off question but How does it relate to usa taxes? cxan u deduct the expenses ? where in forum can i find out?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    My mother has 4 PCAs total. One, who has been with her for 10 years now, lives in. She initially met her during a short (and AWFUL) nursing home stay when the PCA was working there as a CNA. She worked living out for nearly a year, then broke up with her boyfriend and needed a place to live. Since my parents lived in a big house, we offered for her to live-in temporarily, and she has been with her ever since. She has become a part of our family and like a sister to me. She went through the death of my father with us several years ago, and has stayed on and helped with the difficult transition of my mother's widowhood as well.

She has another full time job (at a hospital) 2:30-10:30PM daily, and we give her the mornings and afternoons off on the weekend, so we have other part-time PCAs who take those shifts who do not live in. Normally she gets my mother up and does all her AM care M-F and puts her to bed 7 days/week. We pay her a monthly salary (figuring in her board and room into the amount she gets), and she has her own room, and uses the guest bathroom. She shares some meals and also cooks for herself so has use of the kitchen. She has her own TV and computer so does not have the use of my mother's except when doing things together with her (like watching a movie and fixing the popcorn). She does the laundry for both of them. She is the only PCA of the 4 that we allow to drive the van, so she is responsible for taking my mother to the store, most of the grocery shopping, out to restaurants (lunch mostly) and doctors' appointments. She of course also has her own car.

Her mother also cleans house for my mother and we have had her family (brothers, sisters-in-laws, and nieces) over for special dinners, and they can visit with her in her room. She has her own phone line in addition to a cell so does not tie up my mother's phone.

It is not easy to find live-in people, as most people do have their own lives and families and want to live with them. We lucked out and found this wonderful PCA after trying a couple of others part-time, and it has worked for us. Our other part-time PCAs have changed over the years but she has stayed with us.

(KLD)
    C5 with no grip/wrist ext. or triceps
    (DHAL) If you think you can, you will

Dianka, IRS Pub 502 has some potentially relevant info.

Nursing Services

You can include in medical expenses wages and other amounts you pay for nursing services. The services need not be performed by a nurse as long as the services are of a kind generally performed by a nurse. This includes services connected with caring for the patient's condition, such as giving medication or changing dressings, as well as bathing and grooming the patient. These services can be provided in your home or another care facility.

Generally, only the amount spent for nursing services is a medical expense. If the attendant also provides personal and household services, amounts paid to the attendant must be divided between the time spent performing household and personal services and the time spent for nursing services. However, certain maintenance or personal care services provided for qualified long-term care can be included in medical expenses. See Maintenance and personal care services under Long-Term Care, earlier. . . . (Source)

Long-Term Care

You can include in medical expenses amounts paid for qualified long-term care services and premiums paid for qualified long-term care insurance contracts.

Qualified Long-Term Care Services

Qualified long-term care services are necessary diagnostic, preventive, therapeutic, curing, treating, mitigating, rehabilitative services, and maintenance and personal care services (defined later) that are:

1. Required by a chronically ill individual, and

2. Provided pursuant to a plan of care prescribed by a licensed health care practitioner.

Chronically ill individual. An individual is chronically ill if, within the previous 12 months, a licensed health care practitioner has certified that the individual meets either of the following descriptions.

1. He or she is unable to perform at least two activities of daily living without substantial assistance from another individual for at least 90 days, due to a loss of functional capacity. Activities of daily living are eating, toileting, transferring, bathing, dressing, and continence.

2. He or she requires substantial supervision to be protected from threats to health and safety due to severe cognitive impairment.

Maintenance and personal care services. Maintenance or personal care services is care which has as its primary purpose the providing of a chronically ill individual with needed assistance with his or her disabilities (including protection from threats to health and safety due to severe cognitive impairment).(Source)
    ETA: I believe you can deduct everything over 7.5% of your AGI.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

tnx so much
    C5 with no grip/wrist ext. or triceps
    (DHAL) If you think you can, you will

We don't deduct these expenses from my mother's taxes. My bro-in-law (the financial manager) feels it creates too much of a potential audit flag, and we would like to avoid that if at all possible. There are only a few things that my mother needs that normally would be considered skilled nursing (caths, bowel care and medication dispensing). Meal prep, laundry, transfers, dressing assistance, ROM, driving her, medication supervision, etc. are not considered skilled nursing care by the IRS nor Medicare. Others do deduct this, but you do need to be prepared with the documentation as above.

We also do not withhold taxes but make it clear in our contract with our PCAs that taxes, SS, etc. are their responsibilities as independent contractors. Of course my mother is not planning on running for the Senate or being appointed to the Supreme Court any time soon....

(KLD)