Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: invivo theraputics video

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    Damn, it stucks sometimes and i can't see it correctly... grr

edit: ok now

I couldn't understand this, how were the monkeys injured exactly? Where they chronic or acute?
    Suggested treatments for acute and chronics/penetrating and contusion (bruise). Monkeys hemispheric injured and acutes. I believe.

Certainly an interesting video. He delivered the presentation at a hell of a pace - was he rushing?

He mentioned the "removal of the scar tissue" for chronics as if it was a no-brainer. I was under the impression that there seems to be some divided opinion in the scientific community regarding "scar tissue" in SCI.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=136656

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    Damn, it stucks sometimes and i can't see it correctly... grr

edit: ok now

I couldn't understand this, how were the monkeys injured exactly? Where they chronic or acute?
    Their spinal cords were surgically damaged. The doctors removed a section of the spinal cord that caused the monkey's left leg to become paralyzed. Shortly after that they inserted the Invivo device.

It looked to me that the monkeys were all acutes. However, for chronics, he said their theory is to remove the "scar" tissue and insert the Invivo device in its place.
    T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
    Future SCI Alumnus.
    I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by mcferguson View Post

It looked to me that the monkeys were all acutes. However, for chronics, he said their theory is to remove the "scar" tissue and insert the Invivo device in its place.
    Has there been any scientific investigation to predict how a chronically injured spinal cord would respond to being "re-acuted?" That is, I wonder whether removal of "scar" tissue from an old injury makes it histologically identical to an acutely injured spinal cord.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Has there been any scientific investigation to predict how a chronically injured spinal cord would respond to being "re-acuted?" That is, I wonder whether removal of "scar" tissue from an old injury makes it histologically identical to an acutely injured spinal cord.
    I wonder that also. I wonder how much they could remove. Is there a limit to the length of the Invivo "scaffolding"?
    T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
    Future SCI Alumnus.
    I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

It will be interesting because supposedly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    "Scar" is seldom the main obstacle to regeneration.
    source

And...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    The vast majority of people with spinal cord injury have had contusions, compression, or ischemic lesions of the spinal cord. These types of injuries have little or no fibroblast (scar tissue) invasion of the injury site. There is gliosis but these do not form physical barriers to axonal growth.
    source

So, there's no "scar" to remove, but rather "gliosis" which do not
    form physical barriers to axonal growth.

What are they removing? Just a chunk of tissue? They obviously
    know what they're doing, so I'm looking forward to finding out.

Dr. Carlos Lima (Portugal) with his olfactory-tissue transplantation procedures supposedly removes the ”scar tissue” or parts of the cord. I don’t think any larger studies are carried out with documented improvement as for this other than some anecdotal postings here and there, seams a bit drastic to remove cord tissue too (creating a new sci), especially in light with the none consensus about scar tissue formation too.

The scar tissue thing, to my knowledge, is something not perfectly understood yet, right?

As i understand it there are diferent elements that appear at the injury site that block any attempt from the axons to cross it. Some elements are the CSPG (chondroitin-6-sulfate-proteoglycan) which can be dissolved with condroitinasa, and the Nogo which can be inhibited with some drugs (if i remember correctly under trial by novartis).

Some of the studies i've seen have achieved growth throught the injury site either blocking nogo or dissolving CSPG alone so...i don't know!

So as i understand it, if you remove the scar tissue you are effectively removing a big chunk from the spinal cord...?
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

I believe most of the biology of scar tissue formation as such in a injured cord is understood by researchers, I think what’s argued is more how present it is in most injuries and if how much it would hamper new axonal sprouting, new axonal sprouting which in itself is limited.

As Kate mentioned, Frank Reynolds will be presenting at W2W. He was at W2W in Chicago last year and some of you may have had an opportunity to meet with him there.

In Phoenix, the schedule will provide him with more time to speak and time is set aside for attendees to ask questions following his presentation.

I sincerely hope if you have an opportunity to attend W2W, you do so. There is some very promising research being presented and we would like to reach as many people as possible.

Please go to our website for details on who is presenting and registration.

The Early Bird Rates are in effect through September 30.

We have reserved a block of guest rooms at a rate of $109/night that includes free parking and wireless internet access. You must reserve by October 25, 2010 to take advantage of this rate, and there are a limited number of rooms in the block.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr