Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK Is there anyone that could advise me on AFO information, if you can and would...

thanks for taking the time to reply. i have had significant problems walking for 2 years now though even after 8 1/2 months of post op rehab. Its not something I wanted to wear all the time as I said, i still rehabing, but I limb as well as not having power in my legs, and although as I say I can walk, when you dont walk correctly it affects everything else. I thought the AFO might help the limp perhaps and the stomping.

thanks

im not sure if by walkingaide device you mean ie. cane as I have one of those already, only use when have to.

I also have seen other devices that stimulate the muscle and help pick up your foot, but I figured that was for people with permanent foot drop or something. I also deal with workers compensation and they are very difficult to deal with to get what you need even though i won my case a long time ago. They are very cheap.

well thanks again for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    im not sure if by walkingaide device you mean ie. cane as I have one of those already, only use when have to.
    A good and experienced PT as well as a good orthotist should be your partners in this decision. It is impossible to advise you on this through the internet. You need to be see in person and have evaluations with a variety of products.

This is the Walkaide: http://www.walkaide.com/en-US/Pages/default.aspx

(KLD)

yes, thanks. I do have a PT and a physiatrist, that I stated in my post said to me "if you keep tripping" however that being I guess my real question was Do you have to have "full blown foot drop" so to speak to benefit from some type of device. I should have asked him this when I was there the other day discussing it but my hand is not working well for a long time, and I think I have myelopathic hand, and I am going to OT now for eval, so that dominated the last visit. I will ask my PT as well next week, what he thinks.

I was just trying to get more of an objective opinion, sometimes your own mds and such for some reason dont suggest something until it is suggested to them, in my experience anyway.

If you need orthotics a good doctor will tell you, will order it, will refer you to the best place for it. Your physician may not see you as a good candidate because additional PT and hard work may cause improvement to the point you don't need AFOs.

thanks for your response. It's not that I want to rely on something artificial, I have been in PT many months before my surgery, and it has been almost 9 months since my surgery, and I am still in PT. I have been working very hard at PT and home. My gait has been altered for close to 2 YEARS. The physiatrist told me on the 1st visit that they cannot fix my neurological issues, which i knew, but can work on making my muscles stronger and thru this I have become upright, and improved my posture. My gait has improved since 12/08 when it started, but all that being said I continue to have difficulty walking and as I say "no power", im sure you probably know what I mean, so its been quite awhile. I've sort of hit a plateau I believe. Limping and stomping creates pain and problems.

thankyou for your time and input, appreciate it

This is just what I have learned in relation to my own situation, and it might not apply to yours (that's why you really need to be evaluated by someone with experience in neurological issues who can not only assess your gait and anatomic alignment, but understand the likeliest reasons for what's behind the problem).

In my case, too much time was wasted on PT, alone - I steadily lost the use of my left foot and leg as I struggled to reverse a chronic process. If I'd had the AFO a couple of years earlier, I could have worn it for half-hour daily walks and left it off during my stretch/exercise program and around the house. As it is, I now have a great deal of knee hyperextension because of pressure brought to bear on that joint by a floppy left foot; and the right side is affected as well, through its having to compensate for the left.

It's true that the more one uses an AFO, the greater the tendency for the quads to weaken; but this can be ameliorated or avoided (at least initially) by not wearing the AFO at all times, and under all conditions. Weight-bearing exercises, especially, can help the quads. And jointed AFOs have adjustable springs, so that one doesn't need to dial in the strongest angle of dorsiflexion to lift the affected foot - using less of an angle will still allow the quad to work.

A one-size-fits-all approach doesn't work well for anyone, and it's especially unhelpful in the case of nerve damage - so be sure that your PT and orthotist understand not only the mechanics, but the subtle neurological factors affecting gait and strength. Maybe your rehab team already meets those criteria, but if not I encourage you to seek experienced help elsewhere - even if it means traveling a distance. You might not need an AFO, but on the other hand the right AFO might help you to preserve the power you already have.

if by stomping, you mean you lift at the hips or lean to one side so your floppy feet clear the ground. yes, a maffo or kaffo will help you a lot. I have been using them for a decade now. I recomend the carbon ones that do not fully enclose your legs if you are very active or spend a lot of time abusing them like I do. and also that you go to a good orthotics company, not the redimade ones. you will need to spend a lot of time in them so they must be properly made for you special. I got my pair now in black with bright red straps. I have silly maffo tan lines from my summer getting around.
    you need to go to a physiatrist, who will set you up with getting the right prescription and orthotics companly.

that walkaid thingy would probably work ok for me. seems too good to be true.