Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soc Security acting like I'm welfare scammer! RANT

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    No, I didn't have his SS card, but took in his passport and birth cert, and our marriage license. Took the death cert too, Welfare Lady had been adamant about that. Turned out not to be needed.

This a.m. I called for directions. Welfare Lady said to park on the N side, so I did. Entrance to SS turned out to be on South side, and you have to roll a sharply-angled (for drainage), pothole-filled parking lot to get there. No sidewalks, and no iterior hallways! And keep in mind my new chair is not fully optimized yet, I did finally have coated pushrims at least but I was rolling on solid tires w/ no tread. OMG, my shoulders hurt so bad now! And it was 97 degrees on that asphalt, per the thermometer in my van.

I was in the parking lot crying when a nice young gent offered to push me. Yep, crying in the parking lot. Now maybe I shouldn't take all this personally but it sure felt personal. (What happens to frail old ladies w/ walkers, I wonder? If the parking lot defeated me, a 50 yr old in a chair, I think an older woman may have literally lost it!)

Got in, my appt. was blessedly w/ a nice young woman w/ no agenda. She was so confused. Said "It says here that you've been drawing on your own disability, on other words SSDI. Does that sound right?"

"Yes, it does."

"I on't understand why it says here you are now applying for welfare. Is that what you're here for?"

"No, ma'am, I'm here b/c, as a disabled 50 yr old widow married 25 years, I'm entitled to 71% of my husband's social security."

"And you 2 have no minor children together?"

"No ma'am."

"Well, this is weird, but whatever."

Some calculating...

"The good news is that 71% of your husband's social security is slightly more than double what you were drawing on SSDI."

THAT'S RIGHT, FOLKS! SOMETHING FINALLY WENT WELL!

I can proudly live a dollar or 2 above poverty level! It s possible that starvation may not be an imminent threat after all!

Thank you, American taxpayers. From the bottom of my jaded little heart-Thank you one and all!!!!
    Yes my Conservative friends, this is your hated "nanny state" at work. Why do "these people" think their problems should become our problems? If they can't work and haven't provided for a private source of income, why should they live?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

It must have been a special day at government services.
    A supervisor from the waiver program Dave is on called, apologized for taking so long and agreed he could keep the same financial worker that is trying to clean up the mess the original one that retired made of his spenddown.
    There was a third one that was going to work on it and I requested we keep the second one.
    Glad you got through this Bethany. You did not deserve such an ordeal, but you prevailed!

I am glad you had a good day with the man Bethany, you deserved it.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

Thanks, y'all! I was really stressing this. When I got on SSDI, Steve and the social worker at rehab must have done the work. I have no recollection of it at all. I'm just so grateful that I went to school, got a decent job, worked enough quarters to be eligible for ssdi. That's an advantage of waiting until age 40 to break one's neck!

Also grateful that for 90% of our marriage, my husband saw fit to work and support his family. 71% of his Social Security is the difference between abject poverty and being a little broke, you know?

There is also the huge blessing of being well and fully insured at the time of my sci. One little glitch there could have ruined us all, in retrospect. People w/ lesser insurance are ruined by lesser injuries on a daily basis, here in America.

I do have a little safety net named Dad, but he and I both prefer I not fall there LOL.

It really drives home to me the dire straits one can wind up in thru no fault of one's own...Get injured too young, or too badly to further the old education, get SCI 2ndary conditions that won't allow you to work, have the bad judgment to be born into a family w/out the safety net named Dad, and things can wind up very badly indeed! Like we always say, it can happen to anybody in the blink of an eye.

I'm still pondering the motives of Welfare Lady. You reckon maybe she ran my numbers right quick, realized I would be able to continue my Life of Leisure without being reduced to begging on the streets or living on food stamps and Section 8, and it just made her angry?

I'm starting to think it HAD to have been some similar response, anyway. And maybe she told me to park on the north side to see if I am really disabled...

I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I tell you, something was weird from the day I made the first phone call.

LindaT, I am thrilled to hear you guys may have finally caught a break! Thanks for sharing that.

I'm glad you got your matter sorted out. It looks like a slowdown in getting a new SSDI claim is inevitable http://sweetness-light.com/archive/j...ity-disability

Is SSDI the next step when Congress stops extending unemployment benefits? SSDI Applications up 21% from 2008 to 2009.

ßoß

So do you have to stop collecting your own SSDI and only collect on Steves SS? Why? You both earned it. They are separate accounts. SSDI is not a needs based benefit.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

"Not sure there'd be much of a market for 50 yr old gimps, to tell the truth". If someone's a 60 yr. old gimp himself & you look anything like your avatar, there might be more of a market than you think...good luck w/the govt.

Totally off topic, B, but I LOVED Shepard Mall as a kid, last time I saw it, it had been taken over by government offices and it looked sad. I used to go there w/my Great Grandmother who had Alzheimer's and she'd sit eating a cookie and make inappropriate people watching comments, like "I just can't believe SOME PEOPLE wear shorts, tsk". The best part is that she'd make them jussssst loud enough to get glances from the people, but since she was a million years old, people would let her get away with going from her normally uber proper self to feisty quicker than you could turn your head.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

betheny is my hero. no kidding. betheny, when i lie awake most nights in pain, when my kid is giving me shit, i think of you. i think of all you've been through. and all you've done. and i smile. i smile because you made it and i also cry for us. because it's not f'in fair. and i think of my mom. i hope, someday, our kids will understand.

i wrote this on fb:

my mom and dad were the best. they were by my side every day for months after i was paralyzed. my mom had kidney disease, was on dialysis, but she still was there for me every day. she never got to see her only grandchild. i miss you so much, mom and dad. i hope everybody out there appreciates the mom and dad who will be with them every day when things go wrong. and who let you cry without judging.
    Last edited by cass; 09-17-2010 at 12:59 AM.

So, beth, did you wheel yourself outta there or did you float to your car? Boy talk about a day brightener. Glad you got your due, wish all could get this done. Your gonna be a hot catch with the red dress and all. Happy living.